Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Norstar VOIP Gateway

Status
Not open for further replies.

DigitelD

Vendor
Mar 21, 2006
US
Has anyone installed a Norstar VOIP Gateway to network a Norstar with a BCM50?

SHK Certified (School of Hard Knocks)
NCSS

I haven't installed one, but I do maintain a site with 3 MICS and 2 CICS that are all tied together with the Gateways. I've looked at the programming and there isn't much to it. If you can set up IP trunks on a BCM, I don't see why you couldn't configure one.

are you tring to do 4digit dialing between the norstar and the bcm ?

I've installed them on both CICS and MICS then networked to BCM400s and BCM50s. Question....You are talking about a N*VoIP GW on the CICS or MICS and then IP Trunks on the BCM, right? What is the issue?

Consulting -
If You're Not A Part Of The Solution, There's Good Money To Be Made In Prolonging The Problem.

Here is the setup. In site A there is a BCM50 that has been upgraded to Rls 2.0. In site B there is a MICS and site C has a CICS. Sites B and C have the Norstar Gateways. The Gateways can call to each other and they can make calls to the BCM50. The issue is that the BCM50 cannot make calls to the Gateways. When they pickup and dial the destination code and the extension number they get dial tone again. Then they are able to dial the extension and ring the desired party. Nortel has verified that the programming on the Gateways and the BCM50 is correct. Now here is the kicker. The BCM50 was originally a Rls1. I troubleshooted the issue and tested a BCM50 Rls2 and the calls worked. Nortel tested their Gateways with my programming on a BCM50 Rls2 and it worked. Nortel then recommended that we upgrade because the Gateways have only been tested and verified on a Rls2. However, on this particular BCM50 we cannot get the calls to go through. Could it be that there is an issue with an upgraded BCM50 verses an original Rls2? Again, Nortel has verified all of the programming.

NCSS

What are your settings in the BCM's Remote Gateway tab under Telephony Resources?

Consulting -
If You're Not A Part Of The Solution, There's Good Money To Be Made In Prolonging The Problem.

Due to 2 of the sites having the same extension numbers we had to do things a little different. Here is the info:

Site Dest digits IP GW type GW Protocol
B 32 XXX Other None
C 22 XXX Other None

There is no option under GW Type for Norstar Gateway as there is in BCM200/400 3.X machines. Before the upgrade I played with the different options under GW Protocol.

NCSS

The trunks on the far end(MICS and CICS) have Answer Mode set for Auto and DISA is turned off right? I know you said they work dialing back and forth to one another but I was just wondering.

Can you make a desti code of 3 with an absorb of none on the BCM50 routing and 3 on the IP trunk digits? Then make a test call but just dial the target extension on the MICS from the BCM.

Consulting -

I'm dealing with a similar problem, linking a BCM50 v1 and a BCM50 v2. I discovered yesterday that the router at Site B wasn't handling the H.323 packets correctly. A firmware update (a costly one, at that) now includes an H.323 proxy that SHOULD fix my problem.

If nothing on the Nortel side of things gives an indicator of the problem, you may want to check the logging on the router...

-mike

Redhawkfla, yes the trunks are set for Auto and DISA is turned off.

I am curious to find out if there are ANY differences in an upgraded BCM and an out of the box Rls2. Nortel got this to work with a Rls2 and I did also, however, from this site that particular BCM does not work.

NCSS

On one system in this set up that I am using is an upgraded BCM50 Rls1 to Rls2 and so I don't think it's the issue. Heck, I've been wrong before so I'll look into that angle. I'm beginning to think my quote is coming into play here.... I regret that I am not helping you quickly enough. In situations like this I usually tear the system apart and start over but that's in a lab setting and I know that it's not so easy in the field.

Consulting -

Here is an update:

I have tested this on 2 out of the box BCM50 Rls2.0. I get the same issue that I had with the original BCM50 that is at the customer's site. What happens is you dial the destination code and the extension number. Instead of the call ringing the set you get dial tone. You can then dial the extension again and it goes through. Nortel verified the programming on the BCM50 as well as the Gateways. Now here is the kicker. One of the BCM50's that I am using for testing actually worked 1 time when I called. I dialed the destination code and the extension number and it rang through. Now I can't get it to do it again. Someone please help me before I jump off our office building. Something I may not have mentioned is this, the customers IT tech put the BCM and the Gateway's on public IP's against our wishes. Could it be that not going through a VPN is causing trouble through the public network?

Thanks, I'll be waiting on top of our building for your reply.

NCSS

Something to throw in the mix, I just tested it with our BCM1000 3.6 and it is doing the same thing. When I tested it with our BCM before it always rang through without giving me dial tone.

NCSS

I had a very similar problem on an E&M T1 once.
Exact symptoms!
Found out that telco was sending CLID along with the DNIS.

Is the 50 sending OLI, Name Display, or anything else the Norstar can't understand?

-SD-

It's not sending OLI or name display but what else could there be that the Norstar cannot understand.

NCSS

I would think you need a Gateway Protocol and Type. What are your choices?

Adversity is Opportunity

GW type is Other and protocol is None. Nortel verified that these were the correct settings. I wonder if we need a VPN setup instead of going out on public IP's. I wonder if we are losing info that the Norstar Gateway needs.

NCSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back