Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Norstar-to-Norstar

Status
Not open for further replies.

JosephBernard

IS-IT--Management
Jan 24, 2005
US
I may be getting this wrong because it's hard to get information on Norstar stuff, but someone tell me if this is possible. We have 3 buildings that are 1/4 mile apart. Would it be possible to have each building have a MICS system and have them hooked together with Norstar-to-Norstar allowing for the use of only 1 voicemail system and 1 set of trunks? And if so, how do these systems hook up exactly? Can it be done with fiber optic cable?

There are about four ways to do what you are asking... perhaps five. If you do some thread searching and look in the FAQ you will get some information. But it is time consuming, tricky and you will need onsite help from a telephone tech. There's a lot to plan on this one.

Good luck.

PhM

VVV

Thanks, Arr. Our vendor left us with the impression that it wasn't possible so I wanted to get my facts straight before talking with them again.

It is possible. Not at all easy and can be filled with time consuming glitch troubleshooting. Important to have a good plan prior to installation. Impimentation procedure, and the proper equipment and software at each site is important.

Good Luck
PhM

VVV

Hi there, the eaziest way to do this would be trough MCK fiber extenders, using 1 MICS in 1 location and station mods trough multi-mode fiber on the other 2 locations. If you want to use the exissting MICS at all locations, you'll need MCDN key codes in each MICS, and point to point PRI (2 at the main site, and 1 at each of the other 2 locations). You need MICS 6.1 and CallPilot 150 2.0 or higher.

If you have a say so in this matter, if I were you I would go with the first option with the MCK fiber extenders, you will nee 2 strans of multimode fiber per MCK extender witch it gives you 1 norstar fiber port connection.

Mck is a good way to go but it has numbers limmitations. I have an MCK installation that has been working trouble free for years.
Networking with the Norstar IP Gateways would be the best bet with three large locations.

PhM

VVV

We are using MCK fiber extenders right now. We have reached the limits of our non-XC version of MICS and fiber pairs. In order to get more extensions were going to have to get an upgrade to XC, add another card to allow 6 more ports, more station modules, and another run of fiber which is going to cost around $10,000 to extend to the second building and another $10,000 for just the fiber to the third building. I guess there's no cheaper way it seems.

I agree with Arr,use the the Norstar VOIP gateways. If you do a search and enter VOIP Gateway you will get a good thread about this from about a week ago. To me that is the way to get this done.
Dmac,

What about a NAM w/4.1 SW and several E&M trunks between sites? We've done it with a point to point T1 before and are about to try it with E&M trunks because they are cheaper between the sites. Anyone have experience with E&M trunks in this situation?

namaskar,
Yes, the E&M trunks will work too.

MarvO said it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back