Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Norstar "Dial plan" -- Pattern matching (PRI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kfife

Technical User
Aug 4, 2009
US
I want to modify the Norstar "dial plan". In other words, the rules for number pattern matching.

I'm not sure if that's the right terminology, but by dial plan I mean the digit matching "pattern" that norstar uses to decide if the CALLER is done dialing. In other words, Norstar will automatically submit the call once it matches certian patterns so that caller does not have to use a explicit terminator (#) or wait for timeout before the call is setup attempt goes out over the PRI.

I observe the default 'dial plan' to be:

Collect 7 digits...
Unless the first digit is a 1, in which case collect 10 digits,
Unless the first digits are 011 in which case, collect digits until timeout,
Unless preceeded by 1010 in which case, also collect a PIC code plus ALL of the aforementioned rules,
Unless terminated by # in which case send now.

What I want is to modify those rules to be more permissive for specific vertical service 'strings' that Norstar erroniously 'sends' prematurely. For example if I try to dial *598005551212 to send a command to our switch, Norstar sends only the first seven digits: *598005, believing it's a 7-digit number

What I would like is for Norstar to treat everyting that starts with a * more like an international call. In other words: if call begins with a *, collect digits until timeout or until terminated by#

Can I do this?

We're running Norstar MICS (7.1).

Norstar's not sending *598005 instead of the full *598005551212 (that I type in) because it's timing out (I don't think). It appears to be sending the call precisely when I get to 7 digits, presumably because it's following a rule (somewhere) that says, 'automatically send' after you collect 7 digits, unless the number is preceeded by a 1, in which case collect a total of 10 digits.

Basicaly, for numbers preceeded by *, I want Norstar to keep collecting digits until timeout or terminator (#) before sending.

This is essentialy the same 'rule' that is applied to international numbers (that begin with 011).

Hopefully this makes more sense. I know it's a bit 'out there'

Any way to do this? Seems like there should be.
-K

yes there is a parameter to change. default is 7. Can't remember where to look. on a bcm it's somewhere under dial plan.

System Programming ---> Dialing Plan ----> Public network ---> Pub DN lengths. You will see Show prefix. Hit ADD. Then you will see Prfx. Type the prefix, upto 10 digits. Hit Show and set the length to how ever long it needs to be.

Outstanding!

I will try this in a few hours!

Thanks!

YEP, there it is!

However, it appears as though I can't enter the '*' key as the prefix. This is unfortunate because *XX is the pattern I want to match. Vertical service codes always start with *, so I have a strong preference against doing something 'hacky' by making my VSC's start with 000XX or something else non-canonical.

Any ideas?
Thanks for the help!
-Karl

11 is dialied on a rotary phone instead of *, not sure if you can do same on touchtone.

You sure you cant use Routing for this application?
We dont have that service so not sure.

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

When at the Show Prefix just press Next. This should bring you to the default prefix. This is the length for anything that is not specificly specified elsewhere. Change the length from 7 to how ever long you need it.

Pls correct me if I'm wrong, but if I change the default from 7, wouldn't that make it so that users dialing 7 digit numbers would have to wait until timout before the number would 'send' (unless they explicitly hit #)?

curlycord:
I think you're suggesting making a routing code (for example 8) which the user would substitute for the *?

In other words *70 would be substituted by 870? Something like that?

Brainstorm:
I could maybe accomplish it by EXCLUSION

Default: collect 19
for numbers beginning with:
2, collect 7
3, collect 7
4, collect 7
5, collect 7
6, collect 7
7, collect 7
8, collect 7
9, collect 7

neatly leaving * to collect 19.

This just might work.
IT's a bit ugly but it just might work!
-Karl

If it works, this will also neatly enable me to capture and route ISN numbers over the internet for SIP URI dialing!

For example I could dial an ITAD Subscriber Numbers such as
1234*256
ISN is kinda new, so if you're curious about it, or would like to register an ITAD for your organization, go to
I'll try this out in a few hours when I get on site.

-Karl

It works for vertical service codes! Problem solved.

However, I wasn't thinking about it properly as it relates to ISN dialing. Obviously that wouldn't work because ISN numbers don't BEGIN with *. I need to drink more coffee before posting my bright ideas :).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back