Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Norstar Plue ICS need to convert PRI back to POTS 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

itphoneguy

IS-IT--Management
Oct 6, 2010
US
There are 7 modules to the system;
1. KSU
a. Crd 1 – PRI
b. Crd 2 - ISDN
2. Mod 3 – Stn Mod
3. Mod 4 – Stn Mod
4. Mod 5 – Stn Mod
5. Mod 6 – Stn Mod
6. Mod 7 – ASM
7. Mod 8 – Trunk Mod
a. Crd 1 – loop
b. Crd 2 – loop
c. Crd 3 – E&M

We recently moved into a new office bldg. that used to use PRI.
We only have 7 POTS lines, so doesn’t make too much sense to keep PRI.
But running into some trouble trying to find the Trunk pairs.

When I follow what should be the Trunk from the KSU to the 66 blocks, and then test what is on the first pairs, I get system extension numbers.
I wouldn’t think I would find ext. numbers on the trunk 66 blocks.

Mod 8 shows to be TRUNK from the system menu, so I also tested the 66 block too, and also get system extension numbers.

Do I also need to remove the PRI & ISDN cards.

We have another facility that has a Nortel ISC that is similar, w/ POTS lines only. It does not have any cards in the KSU.
On that system, the trunk line does go to a 66 block and that is where I patched in the POTS lines, but at the new facility, the trunk line has extensions on it.

BTW, when they left, they did remove a few pieces of equipment, from screws and stain patterns on the wall, I can see.
Not too sure what was there; a tech friend suggested maybe a CSU/DSU.
There is still a smart jack on the wall where the old DMARC lines route through, but are dead now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

It is not required that you have the POTS lines in the KSU, but it makes the install 'cleaner'. First, decide if you will ever use a Prime or not. If there is any chance that you might, I would leave the DTI card in (maybe unseat it) and start you POTS lines in module 2, second slot (with it programmed as ISDN, I presume there is a BRI card?). Several options, first try to be a wizard and look into the future. A DTI card can retrieve some money on ebay, but will cost you down the road if you ditch it now.

I think the best thing to do is to simplify your re-install by getting rid of the cartridges that you don't need anymore. These are the steps I'd take if I were you:

1. Remove the 2 DTI cards from slots 3 and 4. (power down)
2. Remove 2 trunk cartridges from mod. 8. Re-install them in slots 3 and 4 vacated by the two DTI cards.
3. Install a new 25 pair tail from KSU (I believe it's the bottom one where there's an icon of a telephone post) to a 66M1-25 or 50 block on the MDF.
4. Cross-connect your telco dial tones in these order on the 66 block;

Pin wire color Port Service Line
26 white/blu 201 T 1
1 blu/white 201 R 1
27 white/or 202 T 2
2 or/white 202 R 2

30 white/slate 203 T 3
5 slate/white 203 R 3

And so on. Remember that you may have to program the trunk pools for proper operation.

I ended up doing the same as TPACHEO

Although it sounds like a lot more work...the running around to sort things out isn't going to save you any time...start over...you'll be up in 1/2 hour

Just remember.....if you decide to do a cold startup, you'll lose the PRI keycode........

stuck again w/ some programing.

I followed the suggestion by tpacheco and I can hear the trunk line click when I initiate a call, but I get no dial tone or connection.
I believe I am good to go w/ the hardware and IW connections, but the programing and line access/assignment looks like where I need some help.
When I look at LINES, it shows LINE001 thru LINE004 are on ports 201 thru 204.
I have LINE POOL A turned on but not too sure on the programing using the 7324 phone set 2 line display.
Is there a better way to program the lines for use?

Thanks again

Hello IT/phone guy,
If you haven't done so yet, here is how the rest of your CO lines should get cross-connected. Please note that you will not have lines 005 through 024 because you elected to do away with the T1 cards.

Red-brn-------port 225--------tip------LINE 25
Brn/red-------port 225--------ring-----LINE 25

Red/slate-----port 226--------tip------LINE 26
Slate/red-----port 226--------ring-----LINE 26

Bk/green------port 227--------tip------LINE 27
Green/bk------port 227--------ring-----LINE 27

Bk/brown------port 228--------tip------LINE 28
Brown/bk------port 228--------ring-----LINE 28

Now you have to configure your 7 lines into "POOL A".
Go to programming mode by keying "feature**config"; password "config". Press next until "LINES" shows up then press "show". Address each line as 001, 002, 003, 004,025,
026, 027 and 028. Under "LINE TYPE", assign lines 001 thru 027 into "POOL A". Assign line 028 as "Public".

If I'm not mistaken under "TERMINALS AND SETS"/LINE ASSIGNMENTS" All sets are allowed access to POOL A. At this point all phones should be able to grab dial tones beginning from 028 down to 001 and dial out.

Let me know if you still need further help.

Hi ITphone guy,

If I may add, under lines programming- define either digit "9" or "8" as your pool A access code (your call).
Also in ADMIN programming, you could assign phones to auto
access POOL A upon lifting of handset. If auto access to INTERCOM is given, then your users have to dial either "9" or "8" to make outgoing calls.

TomP

tpacheco,

Thank you so much for all the help and advice.
I followed as you suggested and got everything working. One of the big problems was that each of the sets, had been programed w/ MEMORY buttons, so no lines were available, b/c functions and internal calling used every button.
So I cleared all buttons, and reassigned lines 1 - 4 to buttons and all seems to be working great now.
Thank you so much again for all your help.

Great job !!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back