Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Norstar Modular ICS analog line to T1 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

notmeu

Technical User
Dec 17, 2002
US
Hello all, We currently have a Norstar Modular ICS with a software version of 4.1 For years we have had a Handoff from AT&T providing a T1 service thru their router/switch for our 18 outside lines. Their router/switch then provides the analog line to our PBX. Lately in a effort to save cash a another company offed to provide our primary phone service, but we would have to upgrade our PBX to accept the T1 line so I purchased a 1/2 slot Combination T1 service, 6 port expansion card and a Full slot Digital T1 Digital trunk interface card. Now I have been adding lines, added voicemail and changing things on this Nortel ICS for 13 years and I haven't had any issues or problems yet, since there is pleanty of documentation out there for the usuall chores, but this is new to me and I cannot find any technical documentation on upgrading our system. What else do I need to do for programming and setting up this new T1 primary service and I seen a Nortel Norstar Primary Rate Interface (PRI) Enabler Key Code (NTAB2769) that is available which seems to me that it is a license agreement? From what I understand our Modular ICS's software can accept this service. Any help or info is appreciated!

If you are getting a PRI then you do need the enabler. That is a keycode that you would enter the system ID against the Auth code in the Avaya Keycode retrieval system but you need to be an Avaya partner to have access.
You also need to builds Target lines assign them to sets, build destination codes and routes so you can dial out.

The PRI Enabler key code is only needed if you are getting an ISDN PRI service.

If you are actually getting a TI service, you already have everything that you need.

Basically, after adding the DTI cartridge to your system, you will need to program the lines.

A T1 service can be presented to you as 24 ground start trunks, 24 loop start trunks, 24 DID trunks or 24 E&M trunks. Once you know how the trunks are presented to you, you simply need to make the corresponding change in Lines > [Lines] > Trunk/Line Data > Trunk Type.

After that, you can proceed with the usual line assignment.

Thanks guys for the info, That gave me more questions to ask our new provider. I didn't think it would be too hard to do, like I said it's new to me!

I can't believe how often this particular issue comes up here and goes totally unnoticed.

4.1 software is definitely NOT compatible with PRI!

You can find an endless stream of information and FAQS on this subject here.

Bottom line is that you need to upgrade the system to 7.1 with a release 2 or higher NVRAM pack, THEN order your PRI key code enabler.

Upgrades do not always go as planned and the Nortel TAC center was always the first to warn us that we could lose all data by trying to maintain the existing programming thru multiple upgrades.

I'd start fresh with 7.1 and a complete reconfig but you'll have to get it up and running first to obtain the correct system ID BEFORE you order the PRI key code enabler!

Phonehed in Dallas

A PRI is definitely compatible with 4.1 software, I believe it was introduced on 4.0. While it will work most people with experience in this area will tell you that it's not the best release to put a PRI on. I would recommend upgrading your system to at least 6.1 or for the price these days just take it up to 7.1.

Jeremy J. Carter
Charm City Communications
Avaya/Nortel
Sales. Service. Installation

Yes seems about 50/50 with 4.1 having issues even though it is compatible.....even first release of 6.1 same thing.

Actually to be precise as 3 versions of 6.1 it is (SP codes G05 or G10 and NOT E06), 7.0 and 7.1. that are suggested.

I agree its best to upgrade to one of those 3 and only then generate a key code against the system ID.

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Ok, let me rephrase that.

4.1 was SUPPOSED to be compatible with PRI but as most of us discovered the hard way over the years, it really isn't!

There are many known bugs & issues with pre 6.1 versions when used with PRI but they may not manifest themselves for years.

Many systems will run flawlessly for years with the older software and then one day, they start having weird little problems that seem totally unrelated to PRI and nothing will resolve the issues except a proper upgrade.

There's no two ways about it. Anyone running a MICS with older software and PRI definitely needs to upgrade their system or be prepared to deal with the inherent software issues that can not be corrected without an upgrade.

Years ago, Nortel ITAS finally got to the point where they wouldn't even talk to any technicians about problems like this until they did an upgrade.

Even the early versions of 6.1 had their share of issues so if you're going to do an upgrade, you might as well go all the way to 7.1.

Either way, I stand by my original statement because I know from personal experience that 4.1 MICS software is definitely NOT truly compatible with PRI!

Phonehed in Dallas

So not something else new on the list of things that are new to me! Upgrading the software, is it as simple as powering down the PBX pulling the old software card and installing the new 7.1 version card?

It is not possible to go from MICS 4.1 to MICS 7.1 directly. Here are the two things you can do:
[ul]
[li]Upgrade the software from 4.1 to 6.1. Then, upgrade from 6.1 to 7.1. This is a two-step process and all programming will be retained. You will need a 6.1 software or a 6.1 upgrade tool.[/li]
[li]Initialize the system, power down during the initialization, replace the software cartridge and power up. All programming will be lost and you will have to reprogram everything from scratch.[/li]
[/ul]

Does the T1 card on the PBX support PRI with an Ethernet hand-off? Is there any differences with how it is provided from the utility company, as far as compatibility? I would assume most T1 services are Ethernet anyways.....

The wiring pin-outs for the DTI (PRI and T1) is the following:
[ol 1]
[li]From Network - Ring[/li]
[li]From Network - Tip[/li]
[li][/li]
[li]To Network - Ring[/li]
[li]To Network - Tip[/li]
[li][/li]
[li][/li]
[li][/li]
[/ol]

The wiring pin-outs for Ethernet is typically the following:
[ol 1]
[li]Pair A - Tip[/li]
[li]Pair A - Ring[/li]
[li]Pair B - Tip[/li]
[li][/li]
[li][/li]
[li]Pair B - Ring[/li]
[li][/li]
[li][/li]
[/ol]

So, you may need to wire your own cable.

Thanks Multimedium, That's some really good info to have!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back