Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Norstar Mod 8x24 DR 5.1 w/ a StarTalk 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhoneMan02

Technical User
Nov 15, 2011
US
Can't transfer to or call ext 224. Ext 224 can call other exts. The message you get is Calling 224 then Not in Service with a busy signal.
I checked DND, compared set capabilities and change out phone.
Thanks

The "Not in service" message appears on the display when you call an extension that has no set currently connected.

Obviously, there is a set connected to extension 224 since you can make call using that set. However, extension 224 might be forwarded to another extension that is not in service. Press Feature #4 on extension 224 and try again calling extension 224 again.

As a side note, the tone you hear is called an overflow tone. It is twice as fast as a busy tone. For that reason, some people also call it a fast busy tone.

I agree, probably not 224

You should be able to still intercom a set that is forwarded to another set that is not connected.
Be it the set is plugged in or not the call will still flash on the intercom key of the original destination set.

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

I should be more clear perhaps:
You should be able to still intercom a set that is forwarded to another set that is not connected.

What I mean is the person calling 224 should hear ringing as normal (will flash the intercom) and not get an error code of another set.

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Call Forward is different than Do Not Disturb in this regard.

It is true that an internal call for a forwarded set will appear on an Intercom button at the forwarded set. However, this is possible only because the internal call is ringing at the destination set. If the call cannot ring at the destination set (because all its internal lines are already busy, because it is being used for programming or because there is no set connected), the call doesn't go through, the caller hears a tone (busy, overflow or overflow) and the caller sees a message on the display ("Busy", "Not in service" or "Not in service").

In short, whenever the caller hears a busy tone or an overflow tone, the internal call didn't appear on an Intercom key. In the opposite, whenever the callers hears ringback, the internal call appears on an Intercom key.

DND has nothing to do with this in my opinion.

"However, extension 224 might be forwarded to another extension that is not in service"

If you forward 222 to 223 and unplug 223 then the person whom calls 222 will hear ringing and see the usual 222>223 on display, they will get a "Not in Service" error as you indicate.

"Obviously, there is a set connected to extension 224 since you can make call using that set."

That set could be any DN, just because you can make a call does not mean it's 224.
I was just at a call yesterday for the exact same issue as above, the sales rep was making calls but could not receive them "Not in Service" was the error.
This was because the set DN was changed to another DN.

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back