Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Norstar MICS -Two Locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

regent23

Technical User
May 29, 2002
US
I currently have a Norstar MICS system in oour offices in NYC - We have a second location in Chicago with an old Toshiba system that soon will need to go. Question - If I get a second MICS system in Chicago can the two systems be linked together (Example) if I want to call someone in Chicago - Could I just dial as is it was an internal call?

I found this info but am not sure if it is what I am talking about:

MICS
Integrated Voice and Data Support for dedicated point-to-point communications between locations. Allows multiple site offices, branch locations and telecommuters to use voice and data on a single network.

Currently we are using POTS lines - I would guess that would need to change if what I am talking about is possible.

Any suggestions?

Appreciate your time.

Install a point-to-point T1 between the locations and T1 card in each switch.

How to Network two Modular ICS systems together using E&M Lines:

Each E&M card handles (2) trunks each. E&M cards cannot go into the KSU. They must go into trunk modules and are only compatible with Modular ICS & Modular 8X24 phone systems.
You’ll need to order however many E&M tie circuits that you need. You will tell Telco who is site A and site B. If you are using a T-1 you will need to tell Telco which channels you want to designate E&M tie circuits. Make sure you tell them that you need Type II 4 pair circuits. Norstar will not do Type 1. The facilities interface code (FIC) for this is TL32M.
You will need to disable the card, program it to be E&M, then re-enable it.
To Disable / Enable Card:
From Terminals & Sets – Next until you get to Maintenance – Show
Next until get to Module Status – Show
Show module – Next
KSU (1):
Next until get to the correct module – Show
Mod8: ( ) cards – Press Card
Card 1: 0 lines – Press State
( ) Ports Busy – Press Disable / Enable
Disable at once? – Yes
Changing Card Type:
Hardware – Show
Show Module – Next
Cards on KSU – Next until get to the appropriate Module
Mod 08: Trunk Mod – Show
CD1 – Mod8: Loop – Change to E&M then Press Next
Cd2 – Mod8: Loop – Change to E&M then Press Next to change the third card if needed.
Now re-enable the card
Note: In order for site A to dial site B you will need to put all the E&M trunks in a line pool, assign it an access code and give that line pool access to each extension.
Line programming:
Lines – Show
Show Line:
Line049:Line049 – Show
Trunk / Line Data – Show
Trunk Type: E&M
Line Type: Pool C or any other unused pool
Dial mode: Tone
PrimeSet: 221
AutoPrivacy: N
Ans Mode: Auto
Aux Ringer: N
Signal: Wink
Ani number: N
DNIS number:N
Gain: Normal

Assigning Line Pool Access:
Terminals & Sets
Show set: (enter ext#) – Show
Line Access – Show
Line Assignment – Next
LinePool Access – Show
LinePoolA: Y – NEXT
LinePoolC: N – Change to Yes

Note: This must be done for each extension you want to be able to dial from the other site.
When callers from one side pick up their handset and dial the access code for the line pool containing the E&M trunks they will hear intercom tone of the other side. They can then dial an extension. In order for the call to ring at the dialed extension you must assign a Target Line to each extension of both sides. The Received digits will be the extension number itself.
Target Lines Programming:
From Lines – Show
Show LN: 145 – Show (target line range from 145-275 non-XC SW, 145-336 XC SW)
Target LN – Next
Private to: (extension number) – Next
Rec’d #: (enter extension #) – Next
If Busy: to prime – Next
PrimeSet: 221 (change to the extension #) - Next
CLID Set: None – Next
Aux. Ringer: N – Next
End of list

Then just assign the Target line to the phone. If it is E&M then in order for one side to dial the other side, each extension will need a target line set up for the extension. IE, Target lines 145... received digits 221... assigned to appear and ring at extension 221. When the other side picks up, accesses the E&M trunks, dials the desired extension 221 the target line 145 will pick up on the digits 221 and ring the extension.
For back to back Norstar:
t - r - t1 - r1 - e - sg - m - sb system 1
t1 - r1 - t - r - sb - m - sg - e system 2

Connect Two Systems Back-to Back using T1/PRI
Be sure to set CSU to NO. You'll program it like you would an E&M connection with each extension getting a target line with their extension number as the received digits etc.
DTI cards back to back wiring:
KSU A to KSU B
1 Rx Ring 4 Tx Ring
2 Rx Tip 5 Tx Tip
3 3
4 Tx Ring 1 Rx Ring
5 Tx Tip 2 Rx Tip

GOOD LUCK!!

Yes - there are several options, E&M, T-1, and PRI

Personally, I like PRI as it supports Call-by-Call service and you can reserve a minimum and maximum number of the channels to be reserved for each type of sevice.

Also, you can route your other traffic accross it as well. I do not know the recurring costs on the E&M or Point to point T-1, but when you compare them against the monthly cost of a PRI and the savings in the possibility of reducing some of your analog lines, (POTS/Centrex?whatevver) It may actually be cheaper, in addition to the added flexibility.

Wow executone, your How to Network two Modular ICS systems together using E&M Lines is awesome. Would you have a How to on Networking two Modular ICS systems together using PRI ?

Thanks and have a good day!

You might want to look into forklifting both Norstars and replacing with Business Communications Manager (BCM) 3.0
You will need keycode licenses for Advanced Private Networking (MCDN) for each platform and a suitable number Of VoIP gateways for each branch.
The cost of interoffice voice traffic over your existing data network may provide a quick enough ROI when compared to the cost of point to point PRI or T1 circuits.
It would also be possible to install a DTI card configured for E&M auto answer services at each site and use a T1 to IP gateway to provide a common dialing plan for your sites.
The E&M option on the Norstar won't provide the advanced integration that the BCM VoIP trunking application could provide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back