Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Norstar MICS PRI issue and OLI

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnomeKC

Technical User
Nov 3, 2009
US
Hello all,

Norstar MICS 7.1 with PRI, 65 stations. Using all 23 channels.
Was working perfectly with AT&T Fiber on their Cisco 2921 Box. We have about 22 of the 65 stations that need to use an OLI that routes to one of the DID's in our 100 block.

All of that was working on the AT&T box just fine.

Friday - changed providers to Spectrum / Time Warner - Fiber on their Cisco 2901 box.

We've worked through a number of issues, like having to increase the line Build Out from 7.5 to 15 (Same cable that was being used with the AT&T box) Then, Spectrum wants NI-2 and AT&T was on DMS100 So had to change that. Inbound seems okay for the most part, BUT BUT

Now, if we leave the prior to cutover working OLI settings on the 22 phone sets, when we get to about the third outbound call, within a few seconds of it connecting, we drop all calls on the PRI.

If I take 6 of the sets in one room, where I can test, and set their OLI to none or to the main number assigned from Spectrum, I can make 2 calls on each of these sets at the same time (1 call, then on hold + another call) So - 12 calls coming from this one room with 6 phone sets. If I change the OLI to the other DID number, then, within a few seconds of the 3rd call (Same exact phone sets that I just tested 12 calls on 6 phones with) When I make the third call, it will drop all calls.

Of course, Spectrum is saying it is the phone equipments fault. I don't really want to default the switch and re-key the PRI and start over from scratch, but this one has me stumped so far.

We tried DMS100 earlier today, and no better, although I've read other places that OLI and DMS100 seem to play better together.
We've tried two different t-1 corssovers,(10-20ft cables) Line Build outs of 0, 7.5 and 15. With 15 some cell phones that are being called claimed that the signal seemed better, but easily could have been the cell coverage of wherever they were.

Seems to me that there is some configruration in the Spectrum Cisco box that the AT&T folks had different in their Cisco Box. Unfortunately, with changing providers, I can't easily get the AT&T guy to talk to Spectrum about configs on the Cisco that worked for AT&T fine for 3 years.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Norm Rasmussen

The first thing that comes to mind is the Central Office is not allowing more than X amount of calls due to the OLI digits are not allowed.

In an example here we used to and maybe still do get 5 free DID's with the PRI then pay X amount for the each of the other DID's.

-Do you have the same type of deal?
If so:
-Are the first 2 test sets that have their own OLI programmed part of the 5 free DID's
-And is the 3rd test set part of the rest of the DID's?

I am just wondering if they allowed only the free ones but not the rest....a programming error on their part.

-If all OLI's are programmed to their own DID then every set can make a call with no issues as long as only 2 calls/channels in use at one time?

-Do you have any Alarms/Events in Maintenance at the time of the crash?

-Did they provided all the other the settings (besides NI2) and they match the KSU?

-Has the carrier monitored to see what occurs when this happens?

I would raise a stink a move up the ladder with Spectrum, seems to me it's obviously their issue no matter what.
It was working before yet they always blame the KSU and they always finally dig down and fix the issue.

This is where having a little Grandstream box would come in handy for testing to narrow down to carrier or KSU

Add me to LinkedIN

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, CAN

We have had some Error 75's that I'm having them verify. Seems like Clock to me if that is the issue. Some patients are reporting still poor call quality and hard to hear, etc. The dropped calls after 3 seems to only be on the one DID that we are trying to set as an OLI for the 22 handsets. If we turn off OLI, seems okay on making multiple calls.

Frame slip would cause all sorts of quality errors, In Test Log had an alarm 75 with EVT310-36000528 Repeating
That isn't active right now, but clocking is still a possibility.

Settings are pretty normal:
All Channels 1-23 Provisioned and enabled
NI-2 with NSF Ext set to None
Descending B Channel - Spectrum set to Ascending
No CbC Routing
CO Fail is TIA-547A
I/F Levels:ISDN
Framing is ESF
Internal CSU is On
Line Build is 15 (Up from 7.5 with AT&T)
Line Coding is B8ZS
Clock is set to Primary
SendNameDisplay is set to Y

Seems to be in the hands of the cisco engineers at Spectrum. Problem is, getting them to believe that this was all working just fine plugged into the 2921 just 4 feet away from their 2901....

Thanks

Norm Rasmussen

Not saying we are out of the woods yet.... BUT The carrier (Spectrum Fiber) FINALLY happened to notice some interface errors between their two pieces of equipment (the Cisco 2901, which our PBX is plugged into and then their Fiber gateway)

He initially thought it could be an autonegotiate setting on one of their interfaces, but after checking that, he said it could be their cable...

I offered one of mine, as I didn't want him to dispatch an on-site tech for something we could test in 20 seconds.
So- cable swapped....

What do you know? - No more errors yet.

A $15.00 Cat5 cable that Spectrum put in place might have just cost about 30 hours of troubleshooting.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back