Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

norstar handset cleaning product

Status
Not open for further replies.

canadianwolf

Technical User
Jul 20, 2003
CA
how about a non technical question... Trying to clean the dead skin and makeup off norstar handsets, yet everything i've tried leaves the handset feeling clean and usually not sticky, but leaves white residue where the skin oils/dirt/makeup were. Black handsets... Doesnt seem to be wear. Tried glass cleaner, window cleaner, fantastic, whirlaway germicidal cleaner, and aircraft soap (it worked awesome to clean steering wheels and arm rests in vehicles). I dont want to melt the plastic...
Any one find something that really works well?
Thanks!

If all other fails use acid tone. You can find it in any store.

2 parts water to 1 part Denatured alcohol
Don't drink it.

MarvO said it

Send it to someone and get it referbished, Should only run about $30. Then the phone phone will look new with anie paint job.

Denatured alcohol straight.
Marv0, are you sure you use denatured? When I cut my alcohol that much it is usually the potato kind...

PhM

Arr, I stand corrected. Should be 2 denatured to 1 water.
Some of the older sets screen printing on buttons were too soft for the 100 proof stuff, so we cut with water.
Beer just makes the phones sticky.

MarvO said it

Endust (the stuff in the Blue Can)works the best...You can buy it at OfficeMax for $5.99a can. The claner that works the bess on all telephone equipment cleaners is
Vandal Mark Remover.....Really potent and cleans all ink off the telephones.

For really really nasty stains that have soaked into the plastic you can try VIM (I ususally get the flavor with bleach in it). Be aware that it is a mild abrasive so you have to be really careful not to grind the texture off of the phone (on the upside you can take some of the UV yellowing off of a badly yellowed phone that way).

Once you've got the phone clean (using whatever product you've chosen) I have never found anything better than Lemon Pledge for making the phone look like new... spray it on thick, let it sit for a few minutes then polish it off. It'll look like brand new and smell lemony fresh :)

Cheers,
>>>>> Mike <<<<<

wd40 cleans just about anything off.
you just have to find something to clean the WD 40 off . or just polish it up with a clean rag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back