Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Norstar DR5 - Can hear other people on other extensions.. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

brianbek

Technical User
Jun 17, 2005
CA
This has just started happening, a few users complained that when they were using the phone, they could clearly hear the conversation of other users using the system. I've changed the extension lines of the users who had complained to unused ports on the system, but that didnt seem to help. I've checked the physical wiring and everything seems to be ok. Has anybody run into this problem before? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Are these calls interanl or external? It is possible you have a crossed talk path out towards the CO, and when two internal users are on those lines, the calls are being bridged. Just another place to look if you have checked everything internal. (In case you had not already, there is a Nostar forum you could also post this in. Just a suggestion)

Good Luck,

Scott M.

They seem to be internal calls, I haven't been able to replicate the problem myself, but the users have told me it was only other internal users they could hear, I haven't been able to confirm this, but on one occasion they had said they could hear someone on an external call, but only the internal person's half of the conversaion. I'm really quite new to phone systems, so the CO in your last post means..?

Sorry, Central Office. My suggestion was that if a line was crossed out towards the service provider, and those two lines were active, you could get cross talk. Another thing to check is the actual cross-connect on the blocks that connect the phone cables into the Norstar.

Scott M.

I had this problem with a different system years ago, it wound up being a card (CPU)or the backplane in the phone system. This may be the same problem where you might have to replkace the cabinet

Before changing out any hardware I would recommend resetting the system

Thanks the help is much appreciated, I'll look into all the suggestions and post any progress.

Sorry for the delayed response, srmega41 was right two of our lines were crossed, thanks again for the help everyone :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back