Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Norstar 824KSU trying to work with callbox and remote door opener 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrTouchTone

IS-IT--Management
Sep 15, 2004
(I really hate the 824KSUs now! :) Got my door callbox issue taken care of, thanks to Viking!! It works great! I only wish I could say the same for the KSU (DR5 824 DS)....I have the callbox wired to an ATA wired to a port set as a HOTLINE. It ringsdown to a DN that I set as an ANSWER DN on several phones (thay way EVERYONE gets a chance to answer the mailman, FedEx, etc when they buzz in at the back door)....HOWEVER, if ANY of the phones are manually fwded to the VM DN, the ANSWER DN goes right to VM (and no, it doesnt have a mailbox)...IF none of the phones are manually fwded (they do call fwd to VM on RNA), sure enough, you know what happens after 4 rings...I set a phone
(M7100) in the phone room as the DN (2100) that the callbox is ringing to...it has NO fwding, etc on it..yet, after 4 rings, Norstar VM answers IF that DN (2100) is set as an ANSWER DN on any other phone that DOES fwd to VM!!!(beginning to see a pattern here yet??? Now you know why Ive taken up drinking ;) LOL

HOW the heck do I fix this? Other than putting the 7100 in the area where the most people sit and let them pick it OR put an ATA on 2100 and have it ring to some big bells (yeah that'll go over real good!) or maybe some C4 and a match and kiss the 824 goodbye (I swear I dont know how that happened!!! :) My ROLM 9200s in storage are looking better all the time and I would have PhoneMail...hmnmmm I feel a swap coming up!

I know I know get a MICS or a BCM is the answer I usually get...but sorry, this is what I have to work with.....

A more elegant door controller set up for Norstar can be found with the Algo product line. They have two door boxes. One works directly with Norstar, is a digital set integration and has a door controller unit that programs strait in. The 8x24 is the best unit to work with this set up because of the 8x24's second internal relay. The other attaches directly to a trunk port and will ring in on any sets as assigned in trunk programming, and again the with the Algo door controller any station set can open the relay controlled latch.

It sounds as if you need to return the Viking equipment and put in a little Algo stuff. Hands down, bar none, Algo makes the very best periferals I've ever used.

PhM

VVV

I have personally found Mike Sandman's DoorBell Fon Controller to be the easiest yet best solution. I have installed several, and have had no problems. They connect through a CO line port. You then set the phone line to appear there and ring for that line. It is simple as that. To use an optional lock mechanism, you press *. Very easy to use, and the remote station only uses 1 pair of wires.

Let me know if you want more info.

John Panzer

John Panzer

The problem is the old systems when the phones all have the same number of rings with an answer Dn who knew what extentions VM it was going to go to, the newer systems with the same set up will go back to the answer dn's extentions VM.
Plus on any of the systems if you call forward a phone that has a answer dn on it it will FWD to the Ans DNs VM.
So for you you should bump up the rings (FNA)on the phones that have the Ans DN on them and put a VM or fwd no ans on the 7100 to the recept phone.

if you would of taken the correct route and bought yourself a Nortel doorphone w DOC then you would of saved yourself alot of these headaches...i don't understand why u installed a viking in the 1st place??

Anything using a trunk port, or an ata, is going to follow programmed forwarding. I think cook1082 has the best solution, however no matter how many times we make the phone ring, there's no way we can make the users answer.

Algo actually makes the Norstar Door phone for Nortel.

PhM

VVV

If they aren't using the music on hold port on the ksu or the aux ring port. Install a tone generator and run the output of it into the moh port turn on background music on sets and set up aux ringing for 7100 set this will cause ringing to be heard through speaker but no forwarding problem.

P.S. Make sure the on hold is set for tones

Great idea itas, but I can see people complaining about the white noise coming off all the sets with Background Music on 24/7 and no music coming out. But, I still like the idea for a warehouse.

Adversity is Opportunity

White noise can only be heard when music volume on set is turned up full which would make the ring very loud in an office area.

That is a great idea, ITAS...

A lot of people are using MOH these days, cuz it's marketing on hold...

I'm with norstarboy and Arr .... the Norstar/Algo boxes work great and we have two set up in the office... Front Door / Back Door with it ringing the reception phone - distinctive ring, plus answer keys on select phones.

The nice thing too, is that you can dial the extension(s) (Autodial Button) for the doorphone and talk and listen to the door...so when the UPS truck is backing up, we're ready to let him in with his armload of boxes...

We in the process now of installing this for a customer - where the doorphone controller will actually enable a 3rd floor button in an elevator, allowing the public / visitors access to their floor from the elevator car.

About $350.00 for the combination - new.

Rick Williams "Doctor Dialtone"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back