Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Normal users require password for firewall access...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Officer57

IS-IT--Management
Jun 15, 2000
US
We're running NT 4 w/ SBS and Proxy 2 with all SPs.

Everything has been working fine for some time. Now, suddenly for some unknown reason, when common users attempt to use the internet through the proxy, a window pops up that requests the user name, password and domain name. Above these three boxes, in plain text is &quot;Firewall: <our domain name>&quot;

Any idea what caused this or how to allow the users to use the proxy again without having to go through this?

Thanks,
Bob
bcouchman@madisonvillepd.com

Bob Couchman
bcouchman@madisonvillepd.com

I have had this happen to me twice. I reinstalled the proxy client on the machines giving me the problems and it fixed it. The proxy client is located in a folder named &quot;mspclnt&quot;. This folder is shared by default and available to all workstations logged into your SBS server.

Hope that helps.

I am not sure if this is an IIS issue or NT / SBS in genl.;
everytime i add a new user, when i go to map network drives located on the file server the network password box comes up and all passwords that i try do not work. We have 2 servers (file &amp; web/sbs/iis) and currently there does not seem to be a trust relationship, and that's probably part of the problem; as we are currently preparing to rebuild our network, rebuilding servers, etc.; meanwhile, i need to get access to make network drives available to a user.
can someone tell me what i need to do, please ?

thank you -
pamela

Unless you are somehow accessing the contents of the share from a webpage, this has nothing to do with IIS (hence, this question is in the wrong forum. :)

When you add a new user, they need to be added (in the User Manager for Domains applet) to appropriate NT domain groups associated with the Sharing permissions of the network share you are trying to map to.

As to the various combinations of logins and passwords not working, try making the login be <your_domain>\<login>.

Good luck and HTH

I have also had this problem in the past. What usually is the cause is that Rights have changed on the MSP folder in the system drive. Everyone needs read rights on this folder because of some .DLLs.

good luck

domain\login will not work with Netscape :-0 The door to life is never locked, but few have the knowledge to open it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back