Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Norcent RW320 burner not recognizing Blank CDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

goobis

Technical User
Jul 21, 2002
Hi Guys I need Some Help, Back in July I bought a Norcent 32x10x40 CDRW Burner,it worked fine for about 3 months,then every time I put a Blank in it wouldn't read it.Through thier Tech Support I was advised to upgrade the BIOS, and I did. And still it would come back reading,player was empty, and to please put media in. Now, I did Find that I could get it to work for awile if I rebooted and reset the ide setting in the Bios, but this was no way to work. so after convincing the good people at Norcent I had a bad drive they took it back and sent me another one. Hmmm. After Receiving it I installed it worked, as far as reading commercial disks or stuff only written from old nocent I returned. Now I tried all kinds of disks from cheap to very expensive and the ones it seemed to like were Memorex Proffesional(the Expensive).So I tried burning a Disk using Nero which came with the Drive it has something called Seemless Link for Buffer underrun Protection. Well it went through the burn Process Successful, but when I went to read the disk it couldn't read the same disk it just supposedly burned.Now things I've tried are changing the Properties in Device Manager AIN off toggled back and forth with different combos with synch data xfer and DMA, and still No Luck I have a 1.2g AMD Athlon KT7-RAID MOBO only 1 HDD WD 40 GB 7200,Norcent 32x10x40 CDRW (PROBLEM),512MB RAM,that's my System. Software = WinME OS. Nero SW came with Burner, it's the only device on primary IDE cable. Well,That's my Story. Please any help is Appreciated, Thanks in Advance

I just recently fixed a problem with my CD burner in which it would not recognize any CDs in the drive. It turns out the IDE cable went bad somewhere along the line and once I replaced it, everything worked great.
I'd reccomend trying that and also what OS are you running and what types of CDs are you making? (ie. music, data, formatted). ~Apex1x
Miller's Law:
You can't tell how deep a puddle is until you step into it.

To say that burning proggies are counterintuitive is an understatement:
My point is that it's likely a setting (in the software) you're using that's causing it. I truly haven't mastered it myself...but don't write in any format with an X in it!

Thanks for Writing back to me,I'm running Windows ME for the OS, and the types of recording i've been doing are music(mp3 & CD), archiving files and making backups of games. Also,Yes,I have changed IDE cables, a couple of times. I even tried a 80 pin cable to see if that would help and nothing. Well I'm thinking about reloading my OS to see if that helps any more suggestions would be Appreciated Thanks Again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back