Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Noobie need to forward from one internal email to another

Status
Not open for further replies.

droidrepair

IS-IT--Management
Jan 11, 2008
US
Hello, I just got tasked with admin stuff on the Exchange/AD server and know little about it. I have someone who has changed their name and wants to forward her old internal email to the new one I just set up.

Looking at the properties of her user account, I think that the forwarding command would be under "Exchange General" and then hit the "delivery options", "forwarding" tab but I can't figure out what to fill in. Thanks!

Delete the new account. Edit the old one in AD and change the name / display name. Add the new name in SMTP and set that to default then the old emails will arrive from outside and internally AD will sort it for you.

OK, I deleted the new account, edited the old one in AD and changed the name/display name. How do I add a new name in SMTP? Do you mean create a new user? Didn't I just delete that user?

On the properties of the mailbox, there is an Email Addresses tab - add the new SMTP address there, and make sure it's the primary address.

Yes, the problem that kept stumping me was an error code. I was remoted into the server under the PC user and not administrator. Doh!

Thanks, M$. You could have just said "admin rights required".

Well, if error messages were sensible, we'd all be out of the job!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back