Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Noob question...outbound call routing

Status
Not open for further replies.

icartmanxx

Technical User
Jun 11, 2003
CA
Hoping someone can help me out. We recently had an outside telephone tech complete some programming on our Definity G3 (release 9i).

I added a used TN747B card to our switch and connected this up to 3 MagicJack lines. The tech came on site to complete programming on the switch and basically set up a new trunk group (2) which is linked to the ports on the TN747B. He changed route pattern 5 (which is used for LD calls) so that trunk group 2 takes priority and calls fall back to trunk group 1 (our PRI)if all lines on tr gr 2 are busy.

This was tested and works fine, but we are finding that some LD faxes and calls to 218 numbers (free conference calls) will not go through the MagicJack lines properly.

Ideally I would like to create a new dial plan whereby users dial 6+1+areacode+number and force all calls dialed that way through tr gr 1 (the PRI). I would then instruct users to dial 6 when sending a fax or calling a conference call, and use 9 for all other calls.

I can't track down the tech now and am trying to figure this out on my own...without much luck. I am fairly new to the advanced features in the Definity and was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction to get this configured.

For the faxes; if they are dialing from fax machines you can give the fax extensions a different COR with a lower FRL and then change the FRL on route pattern 5 relating to trunk group 2 so that fax machines can't access the new trunk group.

If you can isolate the 218 area code down to the exchange that the free conference is using then you can add a route pattern that doesn't include the magic jack and change your ars analysis for 218-xxx to include the new route.

I apologize for my noobieness.

I can see that route pattern 6 already exists in the system with trunk group 1 as it's only route.

If I run a list ars analysis I can see pages of entries listing out all dialing options
1204 -> Route grp 5
121 -> Route grp 1
1800 -> Route grp 6
etc

I assume I need to create a new entry for 1218 pointing to route grp 6, but how do I add this? Do I issue ch ars analysis 1, and create a new entry on page 2? I don't see all of the other entries from the list in this table.

Thanks...

OK...was able to figure the call routing out myself. I changed ars analysis 120 to add the 218 number then discovered we had some others with 712, so I changed ars analysis 170 and pointed them both to route pattern 6. This forced the calls through the PRI and worked great.

I will take a look at the fax routing next week and see what can be done using the COR features.

Thanks for your help!

Just getting a crack at this again.

I currently have the following:

1. COR 1 = FRL 3
2. Both trunk group 1 and trunk group 2 have COR=1
3. ALL user extensions use COR=1
4. TR GRP1 uses PRI for all calls
5. TR GRP2 uses MagicJack lines for all calls
6. Route pattern 5 sends all calls through TR GRP2 first, then to TR GRP1.

In regards to changing the permissions on the fax lines, can I try the following:

1. Add COR 9 = FRL 2
2. Change TR GRP1 to COR 9
3. Set all fax extensions to COR 9

Would this force all fax lines (anything with COR=9) to go out through TR GRP1 only?? Will route pattern 5 still work if I lower the COR on TR GRP1??

Thanks...

As a test, I tried to implement the settings above.

I set up a new COR=9, with FRL=2. All other settings are the same as the existing COR=1.

I changed TR GRP1 to COR=9 and then changed one of my sets to COR=9. When I try to dial LD it is still using the MagicJack lines and therefore still appears to be using TR GRP2.

I checked route pattern 5 and noticed that the FRL=5 on this. I thought the higher the FRL value, the higher the permissions. If that is the case, then how does my COR1 and COR9 (FRL=3 and FRL=2 respectively) access this routing pattern? The FRL value is higher in the route pattern then the COS allows. How does the call get through?

Anybody have any ideas on this? We currently can't fax anything long distance and it is starting to impact our operations.

Thanks...

So your able to call these long distance numbers but not send faxes to them?

What is happening is the fax lines are using trunk group 2 for outbound calls and I want to force them to use trunk group 1. Trunk group 2 uses MagicJack lines and they don't work well for faxing.

OK, was able to figure this out myself.

I set up one routing group with FRL7 and one with FRL5. I then set up a new COR9 with FRL6. I assigned the fax extensions to COR9 and when they now dial LD they are forced to use the routing group with FRL5, thus forcing these calls through the PRI lines.

Everything seems to be working great now guys...thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back