Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Noob question - Need help bolding

Status
Not open for further replies.

numb3r

Technical User
Apr 19, 2008
I'm a complete xml noob. I'm trying to fix a client request in a flash based app pulling in xml. All I need to do is bold some of the copy text.

I've got two instances where I need to bold text. One is using CDATA like below. All I want to do is bold out a name (ie: Jesse)

<Menu type="detail">
<text>
<head>People</head>
<logos><![CDATA[<a href="mailto:jesse@thegroup.net" target="blank">Jesse Herman (click to email) Managing Partner</a><BR><BR><a href="mailto:jamie@thegroup.net" target="blank">Jamie Shea (click to email) Managing Partner</a><BR><BR><a href="mailto:delfo@thegroup.net" target="blank">Delfo Trombetta (click to email)
Director of Operations</a><BR><BR><a href="mailto:wesley@thegroup.net" target="blank">Wesley Adams (click to email)
Director of Marketing</a>]]>]]></logos>

<email></email>
</text>
<images transition="5">
<image path="images/profile/mission/1.jpg" link_bright="100" rollover_bright="70" />
</images>
</Menu>

The other I'm trying to bold is in this one. I want o highlight the address.

<Menu type="detail">
<text>
<head>General Inquires</head>
<text>For general inqueries:&lt;br&gt;&lt;a href="mailto:info@theicongroup.net"&gt;info@theicongroup.net&lt;/a&gt;
For press inquiries:&lt;br&gt;&lt;a href="mailto:press@theicongroup.net"&gt;press@theicongroup.net&lt;/a&gt;
For employment inquiries:&lt;br&gt;&lt;a href="mailto:jobs@theicongroup.net"&gt;jobs@theicongroup.net&lt;a&gt;
The Icon Group 147 Spring St, No. 4 New York NY 10012</text>
<url></url>
<email></email>
</text>

<images transition="2">
<image path="images/profile/mission/1.jpg" link_bright="100" rollover_bright="70"></image>

</images>
</Menu>

I tried all day to figure it out, i'm stuck :p

[0] Your html a tag's target should be read "_blank" rather than "blank".

[1] If the cdata section is to be loaded to text file like htmltext, then I would suggest you simply add either <b></b> (deprecated but still supported) surround the text you want to bold or add a span tag with font-weight:bold style. Like this.
[tt]
<a href="[ignore]mailto:jesse@thegroup.net[/ignore]" target="[red]_[/red]blank">[blank]<span style="font-weight:bold;">Jesse</span>[/blank] Herman (click to email) Managing Partner</a>
[/tt]
[2] Maybe this would help to put things in proper context.

Ahhh, that linked helped. Turns out I needed to make another text field in flash with bold enabled. Thanks for the help!

Just to correct a couple of typos in order not to confuse others.
[1.1]
>If the cdata section is to be loaded to text file[blue][field][/blue] like htmltext,...
[1.2]
>[tt]<a href="[ignore]mailto:jesse@thegroup.net[/ignore]" target="_blank">[blank][blue]<span style="font-weight:bold;">Jesse</span>[/blue][/blank] Herman (click to email) Managing Partner</a>[/tt]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back