Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Noob! Flash getURL button issue. Help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

maccrazy

Vendor
Jan 9, 2006
US
I have a Flash file with a button that has a getURL action applied to it. I've looked up several different tutorials on this, and it seems SOOOO simple, yet I can't get it to work! Wondering what I'm doing wrong... Urgent matter, I need to get this done very soon, so any help would be appreciated! Here's the simple code:

on(release)
{
getURL(" "_blank");
}

I made the button (new symbol>button), added "over" and "down" keyframes, went back to Scene 1, dropped in the keyframe, and added the above script. What's missing? Everytime I try to test the movie, I'm getting this:

**Error** Scene=Scene 1, layer=clicklink, frame=201:Line 1: Mouse events are permitted only for button instances
on(release)

Total ActionScript Errors: 1 Reported Errors: 1

this IS a button instance!! WTF?? Please help this poor noob. Thanks!

OK, I got a little further... now I can get it export without the error... I realized the onRelease code was wrong.

but still, when the movie runs, the new window opens when the movie gets to the frame where the action is... I don't want it to open unless the view clicks on the indicated area...

Anyone?

You should right-click the button on stage, and select actions.
That'll open up the Actions Button window, where you should be typing...
Code:
on(release){
getURL("[URL unfurl="true"]http://www.smggo.com",[/URL] "_blank");
}

If you click on the frame where there's a small "a", that opens up the Actions Frame window, the wrong place for the above script... Remove the code from that window.

Regards. FLASH HELP - OPENED FOR BUSINESS!
TO GET YOUR OWN FREE WEBSITE HOSTING

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back