Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

none working usb in win98se

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingy17

Technical User
Jul 7, 2002
GB
Hi I have a problem’s with my USB.the problem I’am having is I can not get the usb web cam to work I have installed the drivers first then connected the cam.What I don’t understand is the Xerox printer is connected to the usb port and is fine and works well but the usb web cam wont.Can anyone give me some Idea what the problem mite be.and how to cure it. As I’ve tried everything I know.allso tried diffrent usb ports

My setup is abit KT7A motherboard rev 1.3
Athlon XP 2000+
128 MB pc 133 sdram
80gig harddrive split into 2 x ie 40gig
soundblaster live soundcard 5/1
nvida verto geforce 4 MX 440 g/card
plextor writer 16/10/40
Memorex cdrw-2216 writer
48x cd rom
creative web cam go plus
Xerox docuprint m750 printer ( default)
Epson stylus color 300 printer

mainegeek your a vrey funny man......NOTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

I was being serious. If you plug your camera in a usb port and turn it on (while your system is up and running) your system should detect the camera's presence.

yer thanx mainegeek dont u think all that as not bin tried i have had the software on and off the cam in and out i have tries it all.it dont detect it when i plug it in.when you gointo device manager it has a yellow question mark and says the drivers are not installed (code 28 ).anyway thanx again maingeek

Kingy17,

You might try this scenario:
1. Unplug the USB that has the camera from your PC
2. Uninstall using the cam software if there is such an option. If not, check Add/Remove Progs and uninstall from there.
3. Reboot system
4. Make sure that all cam software has been removed. You might have to do this manually. If you installed several times, there may be junk left in the register. Back up the register first and then remove.
5. After uninstalling and rebooting, reinstall the cam software. During the install, be patient. Alot of the software out there takes awhile and it is difficult to see when the installation process is complete. Somewhere during the installation process you should see a message stating that the usb drivers or database is being updated. Don't plug the cam in until you are told to do so. Reboot after the installation process is complete.

I had a similar problem. It turned out that the installation process was still going on and I didn't realize it. A dialog box appeared saying click "OK" when finished so I clicked it before the installation completed. In fact, I was dumb enough to do this twice. You should also make sure you have the latest driver. 99% of the time the drivers that come with the cam are outdated. Download the latest and use that one.

Good luck!

thanx maingeek,yowza got it sorted thanx again both

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back