Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

None of the Exchange services want to start. HELP!!!!1

Status
Not open for further replies.

3A21

IS-IT--Management
Jan 30, 2003
US
There is not enough space on my exchange drive. So I wanted to run the backup of exchange to clear and have some space.
But the backup failed. I notice that this is due to the fact that Exchange services are not running. I tried to restart them without any succes.

Can someone help me because my exchange server is going to crash

Please,
let me know how to do that

Best regards

If you did a "standard" install you will find it on the start menu, under Start/Programs/Microsoft exchange/Microsoft Exchange Optimizer
Hope this helps,
-Dana

Check to see if your transaction log files are being deleted by your backup software (only necessary if you have circular logging disabled). On the drive that is full, go to x:\exchsrvr\mdbdata and look for files named edbxxxxx.log (where xxxxx is a number in hexadecimal format). If you have lots of these files, circular logging is disabled, and your backup software is not clearing them out. When everything is working properly, immediately following an Exchange backup there should be one file named edb.log and four files named edbxxxxx.log. If circular logging is enabled, you will never have more than these files.

If you have this problem, set your folder view to display the archive bit. Delete all edbxxxxx.log files that do not have the archive bit set EXCEPT the four most recent. NEVER delete the edb.log file, the edb.chk file, or the four most recent edbxxxxx.log files! If this is not the cause of your problem, try running the optimizer as suggested above. This will only help if you have another partition (drive) that has more space than the one your database is currently stored on. If you don't have enough space on your server, you will have to add a drive to the system. Before doing that, ensure you have a full backup of the system.

You can perform an off-line backup by ensuring all folders starting with 'exchsrvr' are included in a standard backup. You cna find instructions for restoring an off-line backup on Microsoft's web site (support.microsoft.com).

Good luck.

In order to create enough space to start the exchange services, I would suggest the following:

Clear your temp directories (c:\winnt\temp) or (c:\documents and settings\(user)\local settings\temp) and temporary internet files directory (if internet accessed on this server).

Also, you can check to see if any of your users have files stored on the server that they can temporarily move to their local pc's (depending on if this server is used to store user files).

this may create enough space for your services to be started and for you to perform the backup. the best option is obviously the exchange optimizer, but this is another way of getting round the problem.

Regards

Marcus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back