Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

non updatable record set

Status
Not open for further replies.

pduncan

IS-IT--Management
Jun 20, 2003
US
I have a datasheet subform that is powered by a non updatable recordset. I can't seem to design the recordset's query in a way to where it will be updatable -
Is there a way around this?

What I would like to do is have a user double click on a row in the (subform) datasheet and have it open so that it can be edited.

Is it possible to create a new (editable) recordset based on the row that is double clicked? If so, how would I do that?
-OR if anyone has a suggestion as to how best to pull this off, please let me know.

Thanks,
PDUNCAN
Memphis, TN - USA

PH - you refereed me to this page last week. I am not trying to be obtuse - I really appreciate your help but I spent all weekend trying to redesign my query based on the information provided on this page - I made several attempts to change my query but when I did it still was not updatable.

Are all queries updatable (assuming they are properly constructed?) Is it possible that a query is just not updatable?

Thanks,
PDUNCAN
Memphis, TN - USA

Without the SQL code and the Table's schema, it's hard to say ...

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

Here is the query:
Code:
SELECT tblController.RCName, tblEvents.Date, tblEvents.Event, tblEvents.LocationName, tblEvents.Complete, tblEvents.Attended, tblEvents.Amount, tblEvents.Comments
FROM (tblController INNER JOIN tblEvents ON tblController.RCNo = tblEvents.Controller) INNER JOIN tblLocations ON tblEvents.LocationName = tblLocations.BranchName
WHERE (((tblController.RCName)=[Forms]![frmSearch]![lstController]));
How can I send table schema

Thanks,
PDUNCAN
Memphis, TN - USA

To get a fully updatable query put all the PK and FK in your SELECT list.

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

OK - I tried this...
Code:
SELECT tblController.RCName, tblEvents.Controller, tblEvents.Date, tblEvents.Event, tblLocations.BranchName, tblEvents.LocationName, tblEvents.Complete, tblEvents.Attended, tblEvents.Amount, tblEvents.Comments
FROM (tblController INNER JOIN tblEvents ON tblController.RCNo=tblEvents.Controller) INNER JOIN tblLocations ON tblEvents.LocationName=tblLocations.BranchName
WHERE (((tblController.RCName)=Forms!frmSearch!lstController));
now my PK's and FK's are all in my select statement - still doesnt work

Thanks,
PDUNCAN
Memphis, TN - USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back