Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Non-stop Recycle Bin!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floribunda

Technical User
Apr 18, 2001
US
Last week my recycle bin started bingeing. It eats all temporary files (like 100 at a pop). Then, when I WANT to delete something, it doesn't ask me if I want the file to go to the recycle bin, it just deletes the file permanently.

What is going on?

Paul - Thank you. I followed the instructions on the url you recommended. Unfortunately, there is no change in the operation of the recycle bin.

To give you an example, I opened up my eudora program, opened the inbox, did NOT open any messages, closed the program and looked in the (previously empty) recycle bin. There were apprx. 15 new files in there. Some were html files, some were "cabinet" files, some were dat files. They were all very small, 0-5 b.

It said that their original location varied from windows/temp to eudora to windows/local settings, windows/wudnld20.tmp.

I did run my virus software and it came up empty-handed.

????????
Judy

One part of the problem is (I think)that the properties for the Recycle Bin are set to delete files without sending them to the bin... If you right-click on the R.B. and go to properties, see if there's a check in the box next to "Do not move files to the R.B. Remove files immmediately on delete". If it's there, take it out, 'cause that's why nothing is in your R.B. As for the automatic removal of temp files, look in your autoexec.bat for a "del c:\temp\*.*" line (or something similar). Or, now that I think about it...does this only happen with Eudora? If so, there's some setting within the program that needs to be turned off (maybe?). Hope this helps a little anyway...

:)

Hi,

If your files are being deleted before they are moved to the recycle bin and you don’t want them to be, try this. Right Click your Recycle Bin icon on your desktop. Under the Global Tab, check to see if the box next to “Do not move files to the Recycle Bin. Remove files immediately when deleted” is checked. If it is, uncheck it. If the box is “ghosted”, select the “Use one setting for all drives” button, and then uncheck the box.

Secondly, check the local drive tab, (usually C:) and see if this box is checked also. If it is, uncheck it. If it is, but ghosted, go back to the “Global” tab and select “Configure drives independently.” Go back to the box and uncheck it.

Steve

Judy,
Assuming you have got the Recycle Bin set up as per the previous posts, it should have sorted that delete straight away problem out. If the bingeing (nice description!) is only when you run Eudora, maybe it has a spam filter or some such which is sending stuff to the recycle bin.

If you're using a version that has it, check out the MoodWatch settings.

Uh oh, my face is red. :{ The problem of my recycle bin eating up everything in sight was due to the fact that I had enabled "trash guard," a McAfee component, some time last week. When it said it would protect my files from being deleted, I thought it sounded like a good idea (at the time). lol Actually I thought it would have the opposite effect than it did.

Thanks everybody for answering my question - it's good to know that there are "gurus" out there willing to help.

Judy :)

Judy -

No. . . thank you Judy. It's posts like yours that save other IT pro's from getting the "Red Face" when this very thing happens on our PCs/Networks.

Absolutely, in IT support all knowledge is good knowledge, thanks for being honest! :)

I most wholeheartedly agree...thanks a lot for letting us know what the problem was...believe it or not, NOBODY knows everything...

For some reason it is always an antivirus application that causes those problems.

~brye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back