Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Non-Hardware Specific Ghost Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

purplebroom

IS-IT--Management
Jul 12, 2000
GB
Hi
This could be a tricky one... I have developed a windows 2000 build (Ghost image) that will be distributed to all our users, the build is based on a Compaq armada m300, the problem is there are about 10 different types of machine in the organsiation, ranging from dell to compaq to fujitsu.

Does anyone know of anyway to strip the ghost image of hardware specific settings and just have the ghost image with the basic install and setting snad then use pnp to install the hardware after imaging.

I suspect the problem is going to be the different vendors HALs, but if anyone has a solution it would be most appreciated....

cheers

P-Bro

Sysprep will do everything you want apart from the different HALs. You will need a different image for each different HAL.

I take it these machines are using non-standard HALs?

thanks for the reply ashley...
The original image was installed from a standard installation disk so is not vendor supplied.
I take this means I can run sysprep on the m300 build then ghost it and the resulting image will be transportable between different manufacturers...

Fantastic!!

thanks

P-Bro

You can indeed, the only problem you get is if you have machine you use vendor images. Also there are a couple of different standard HALs about.

If you take a look at Device Manager and Computer it should tell you which HAL is loaded - do this on all machines and you'll probably find you only need two images max.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back