Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Non - existent domain error

Status
Not open for further replies.

code85

IS-IT--Management
Oct 4, 2012
CA
Please my dns server does not respond to my clients, what can i do right? i keep getting this error when i try nslookup:

C:\Users\Administrator.HAIZEN>nslookup dns.whalenet.com
Server: UnKnown
Address: 192.168.1.1

Non-authoritative answer:
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
Name: dns.whalenet.com
Address: 64.95.64.218

My server tells me "non-existent domain"

ANY HELP WOULD BE HIGHLY APPRECIATED

From what you have posted, your host is configured to use 192.168.1.1 as the DNS and it is saying that your query timed out. Does it time out for other queries, like google.com? What I am getting at is, is there a problem with the server in general or a problem with your domain or zone? Do you actually have a DNS server listening on 192.168.1.1 or is it a router that is providing DHCP and DNS by forwarding your ISP's DNS?

C:\Users\Administrator.HAIZEN>nslookup google.com
Server: UnKnown
Address: 192.168.1.1

Non-authoritative answer:
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
Name: google.com.whalenet.com
Address: 64.95.64.218

This what i get when i querry google.com. I have re-installed dns , my dhcp supplies IPs, but i cannot join my host to the domain due to the dns error. I have a router on my network with address: 192.168.1.1 and my server:192.168.1.10.

I disabled the dhcp on my router to use my server 2003 dhcp - which works fine, but the dns seems to elude me. Any help pls?

I disabled the dhcp on my router to use my server 2003 dhcp - which works fine
That is likely why you are having look up issues. Your router is probably getting the DNS server IP addresses from your ISP and passes them as part of the configuration, which your 2003 DHCP is not getting. I don't use Win Server, so I can't tell you where to put this information, but there should be a tab for it under your DHCP server settings somewhere. Find out what your ISP's DNS servers are and plug these values in. If you find the entry, you can also do a test by using 8.8.8.8 (google's public DNS).

if i plug those values in, where do i put my internal dns address or should i use the isp dns all through. so lost right now. thanks

Lets back up a little it and see if we can clear up some of the confusion. As you know, in order to resolve names into addresses that can be routed, connectivity to a DNS server is required. The most common method of getting DNS access is from your ISP, who normally publishes a couple of public IP addresses for this purpose. Alternatively, you can run your own DNS server to perform the routing function. The most commonly used DNS server would be BIND, and Win Server undoubtedly has an equivalent. Every host on your system needs to know the address of an accessible DNS that they can query to perform look ups.

In a typical (e.g. residential or small office) configuration, the WAN (Internet side) configuration of a router is performed automatically and it acquires these addresses from the ISP. In some cases, the configuration is performed manually and these WAN side DNS servers are programmed in. Then when this router is used as a LAN DHCP, it passes these addresses to the hosts on the LAN. If the router is pointed to as the DNS, it would undoubtedly forward or relay the query to the ISP DNS servers.

What you appear to have done is change the DHCP server from being the router, which had obtained the DNS server information and instead used a server on your LAN. This is perfectly acceptable. However, in doing so, you did not configure it give out DNS server addresses.

Now, things can get a little bit complicated, for example, if you use DNS on your LAN too as your ISP is not going to have a clue about these addresses. In this case, your best option would be to use your server for DNS resolution and point your LAN hosts at it. In this case, your ISP's DNS entries should go into the forwarders section, which means that if your LAN DNS can not resolve the query, it will check with your ISP's servers.

Hi noway2< i figured out the problem. I enabled ICS and it wouldnt disable - windows glitch. so reinstalled server 03. It's up and running now. Thanks a lot.

I enabled ICS and it wouldnt disable - windows glitch. so reinstalled server 03.
UGH! At least you got it working. Good catch on figuring that one out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back