Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Non-Delivery Notification

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadak1

Programmer
Mar 9, 2001
GB
Hi

Can someone tell me how to enable the non-delivery notification on our Exchange 5.5 server?

Thanks in advance

Shadak

As follows:

Open "Exchange Administrator"
Browse to the domain "Configuration" section.
Open the "Connections" section.
Open the "Internet Mail Service" properties.
Select the "Internet Mail" tab.
Click the "Notifications" button.

You non-delivery report (NDR) options are here.

Thanks for getting back.

Do you know how to specify which email address's the non-delivered email should go too? At the moment, they are going to two members of staff, but I need them to go to another mailbox.

Thanks

Scott

Hi again,

I am afraid I have never redirected NDRs before, I did find this on another post however:

"The NDR is generated by the exchange system account. The sender will receive an NDR from postmaster@yourdomain. You can configure where you want a copy of the NDR's to be sent to by doing the following. Open exchange system manager,expand servers, expand your server, expand protocols, smtp. Right click your SMTP virtual server and select properties. Click the messages tab, and in 'Send Copy of Non-Delivery report to' type in the e-mail adreess where you want the copy of the NDR's to go to. If you open the NDR from the account specify and select 'Resend Message' the original message will open up.
NDR's are stored in the Badmail directory, which is located by default in root:\\Inetpub\Mailroot\Badmail.
This location can be changed to a different location, but must be on the same computer as the SMTP server."

Unfortunately we do not have the virtual SMTP server installed so I cannot check this for you.

Hope that helped.

Russell.

The Notifications option in 5.5's IMS only controls whether and to whom a notification of the fact that an NDR was generated is sent. This doesn't control the generation of the NDR back to the sender, this happens anyway (and you can't turn it off).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back