Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

non-Cisco Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrckb

Technical User
Nov 6, 2001
US
What has been everyone's experience with non-Cisco memory in routers?

We need to migrate to 12.2 and have many routers that need more flash and RAM. Crucial ( and Kingston ( offer memory for Cisco routers. Cisco's prices are like 10X their prices.

We were wondering if anyone has had bad experience with non-Cisco memory?

Patrick

Well usually cisco buys memory from vendors such as crucial, smart technologies, kingston, etc...

So does that answer your question? heh

BuckWeet

Crucial and kingston are two of the best memory makers, both i belive have lifetime warranties. I wouldn't worry about those, just stay away from no name brands

The problem arises with the 2500s where they used to actually check for 2 different brands of memory chips. If not a match, then no boot. New boot PROMs will correct this stupid design *feature*. As far as I know, this was only the 2500s that had this "feature"

Other then that, Kingston or Crucial.

MikeS

Find me at
"Take advantage of the enemy's unreadiness, make your way by unexpected routes, and attack unguarded spots."
Sun Tzu

We use Kingston in all of our routers. No issues. The likelihood of memory failing is next to zero.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back