Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

non-admin log on to Domain server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomslacks

Technical User
Mar 30, 2002
US
I dont know a lot about WinNT so here it goes.

Have a small network with WinNT server. Need to let other users run backup software and drives which are attached to WinNT server. These users need to logon locally to the server to run and verify the backups. But I have been told by our outsourced IT guy that only a Domain admin can log on locally to the Server. This doesnt seem correct to me but have been unable to find a reference on how to make a group in WinNT that would allow a non-admin user to logon locally to the server and have access to Backup software and drives and not other resources.

In Win2K this is not an issue but i do not have experience with NT and I have inherited this issue from some one who left. Any help is appreciated.

If, when you say,log on locally, you mean that there are going to sit at that machine and log on to it, Yes they can as long as they have a valid user name and password.

You might want to create a single user account that they can all use rather than create a whole lot of seperate accounts. It will make keeping up with things a bit easier and usually does not pose great risks on a small net work.

Have your outsource IT guy add your other users into the group called the "Server operators" group, once in that group they will be able to logon directly at the server and perform their backup tasks.

You can also consider some remote control tools, so that you or your users may not need to be physically present at the server to logon, you can do it on your own PC.

There is an NT group called backup operators that have the right to logon to the the server.
Server operators are essentially administrators, which, from the sounds of it, are permissions that these people need.
So, in summary, double click on the backup operators group in user manager, groups (bottom pane), and then click add, and select the username that you want to add.
BTW What backup software do you use?

Normally, regular users do not have the permissions to log on locally at the server. Many people change this, but it's best to keep it that way.

As was mentioned above, use the Backup Operators group. You don't want to give out any more permissions than are necessary. Not that anyone is going to deliberately do anything wrong, but accidents happen. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back