Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nokia Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 29, 2003
GB
Hi we recently swapped our IP330 for a IP350 and I want to rebuild the IP330 for our DR site.

I've read the docs on installing IPSO-3.8 etc however it doesn't really explain how to rebuild the machine from scratch. e.g. format the HD etc etc.
or am I looking at this from a PC point of view.

Thanks in advance
Ian

From within the Voyager front end you can stop your firewall packages and remove them. After a reboot you just have a standard Nokia with no firewall. If you want to completely trash the Nokia config then you can remove the saved config from /config/db/ and reboot. When the box has rebooted it will have no config and so you will be prompted for the hostname, IP address etc and you can build it from there. Once the Nokia is configured you can then upgrade the IPSO, either from Voyager or via IPSO and then select it to become active on the next reboot. Once you are happy that it all works the old IPSO can be removed.

So, to recap, I would do the following :-

1. Stop the firewall

2. Remove the packages and reboot.

3. Remove the config files from /config/db/ and reboot

4. Reconfigure the Nokia

5. Upgrade the IPSO.

6. Reinstall the new firewall

Chris.

Chris Andrew, CCNA, CCSA
chris@iproute.co.uk

iantaylor2100,

I would suggest you do a "clean" install like this:

1) boot up the firewall and hit the "space bar" when prompt to do so,
2) have an ftp server ready with ipso.tgz version of your choosing,
3) do a fresh install of ipso. Follow the instructions,
4) reboot the machine,
5) assign IP to this box,
6) download checkpoint package onto the IP300,
7) install checkpoint via ./newimage command
8) reboot,
9) install patches,
10 reboot,
11) run cpconfig command.

wireless

Actually, it's easier to put all the packages you want into a single directory on your FTP server before you start. The following process should work fine for ANY Nokia platform EXCEPT IP440

*** UNLESS it is currently installed with IPSO 3.21 or earlier ****

Put the following files into your FTP directory:

ipso.tgz (IPSO release required from Nokia Site)
nic-doc3x.tgz (Documentarion package to match IPSO ver from the Nokia Site)
IPSO-3.x-wrapper-R55.tgz (Check Point for IPSO wrapper for IPSO version)

Now connect a console lead to the Nokia unit and run up a GOOD terminal emulator (I prefer SecureCRT, NEVER use Hyperterminal on Win2k/XP).

Boot the machine and at the "Press any key to enter bootmanager" prompt, hit the RETURN key or SPACEBAR.

At the BOOTMGR[0] prompt, simply type the command 'install'.

Follow the prompts, giving one of the interfaces an IP address for the LAN you are using, the IP address of the FTP server and default gateway etc.

Assuming you have all the correct information, all the packages will be downloaded and the IPSO installed.

After the first reboot, the Nokia will ask for a system name, IP address etc, and then walk you through installing the extra documentation and checkpoint packages.

Once you have rebooted for a second time, run CPCONFIG and off you go.

[PS. You can't install software packages using 'newimage', you will have to use 'newpkg' instead :) ]

========================================
Find out about what I do for a living at
========================================

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back