Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nokia IP330 Config

Status
Not open for further replies.

murrayw

Technical User
Jun 30, 2003
GB
Hi,

I have a Nokia IP330 firewall with checkpoint NG FP3. The firewall is going wrong and keeps disconnecting its self from the internet. I believe this may be a hardware fault.

I also have a spare IP330 that I need to configure to be the same as the live firewall. Can I backup and restore the config from one firewall and restore it onto another?

If not can I use a console cable to connect to the firewall and configure it manually?

How can I sort this?

Regards,

Murray

You can do a backup and restore from the Nokia Voyager I believe. However if it is the FW that is disconnecting all the time that you wish to backup and resore - I would rebuild if this os not too much effort. You can console into the Nokia, re-install latest IPSO if required and install CP.

Akiwondo (MCSE, CCSE)

How do I console into the firewall?

And what steps do I need to take to rebuild the OS?

you console via the console port on the firewall and a laptop or desktop and a terminal server emulation program, don't use hyperterm for this as these nokia's don't like it, terraterm is fine and free (you need the correct cable, normally comes with the box). Download an ipso image from the nokia site (check on the site for which ipso version goes with which checkpoint version with which hardware version i.e ip330,ipso 3.7, ng fp3 etc). you need an ftp server which the firewall can see, loaded with the image from nokia, this can be running on your laptop or elsewhere on your network, and you need ethernet connectivity to it. Once you have all this in place reboot the ip330, hit anykey at the prompt to go into the boot manager and type install...and follow the prompts. be aware that this will completely wipe your config out and you'll need to install checkpoint from either the cli or voyager...from what you say I would do this to the standby machine - that way if you do have a hardware fault on the original box you haven't wasted your time...good luck!

Another option is to copy one hd to the other. Pull both drives and connect to a linux box.

From the shell prompt: dd if=/dev/hdb of=/dev/hdc bs=1024k

For the Nokia portion, you can copy the the /config/active file from the old firewall over to the new firewall.

For the Checkpoint portion, the easiest thing to do is
to use the "upgrade_export" on the old firewall and
use "upgrade_import" to import the configuration to your
new nokia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back