Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Noisy Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

voisey

IS-IT--Management
May 24, 2006
GB
Recently, when booting my computer, my HDD has started to make a noise (rather difficult to describe but quite loud). Once the computer is up and running there is no further noise – other than normal humming, which it has done since purchase. Is this a sign of old age (HDD not me!) and should I be considering changing it? I do have an image and take weekly backups so a new HDD would not be a great issue.
Any advice would be welcome

Thanks
Voisey

Yes sounds like it's on it's way out, most likely a bearing failing.
For the price of a new one it's not worth the risk and easy to clone as well than restore

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

Sympology, thanks for such a quick response.
You comments are really helpfull - in as much as they help to persuade the 'Financial Controller' that we do need a new HDD. On this matter are you able to recommend any particular manufacturer/supplier (UK). Also you say "easy to clone" - I've never cloned a disc before, could you give me a brief overview or point me to somewhere where I can get step by step instructions (any particular software needed?).

Again thanks
Voisey

I agree with "better replace before it's too late". Noise is not good a sign. You'll get different answer about hard drive brands just like with cars - GM / Ford / Toyota. A battle to the death.

In terms of cloning:
If it's a business, you're not supposed to use the free one.

I'd personally recommend one of these drives in terms of brand and model + the free included cloning software download:
Western Digital RE4 (assuming the hard drive is SATA)

Pick your size:
Cloning software link

If you're not confident about what you're doing, leave it to a professional or you can image backwards (blank disk to data disk = data gone).

A lot of external HD's come with software to do what you are looking to do. Before you clone I would suggest you back up all your important documents ASAP.

You can easily rebuild a HD by installing OS and software but the documents aren't so easy to recover.

You could also just get away with an image of your HD which is a compressed version. The benefits of a clone is that when the first one fails you just pull that HD out and plug the new one in and you don't miss a step (or you can swap earlier).

But until the cloning is done protect yo documents.

Darryn Cooke
| Marketing and Creative Services

Thanks all
goombawaho - Thanks for the web sites, I'll certainly check these out. As far as easeus is concerned this is for my own personal home computer, but thanks for the info. The "Financial Controller" (the wife) has agreed the spend, mainly because most of her documents are saved on the drive as well!!

Thanks again
Voisey

That's funny - I thought SHE was the boss at work, but she's just "she who must be obeyed" at home.

I agree it may be a HD on it's way to retirement but suggest you make sure it's not just a noisy fan starting up (unless you already have).

Sam

mscallisto - Thanks, I hate to admit it but no I never gave that a thought. Just goes to show how really informative this forum is.
If it is a noisy fan then at least I will have some change from my HDD financial allocation (see above)to buy some pop corn.
Thanks to all
PS: I often wish that I could provide a solution to a problem posted here but my knowledge is currently below par

You could record the noise and post it somewhere for our entertainment. If it's a high pitched steady whine, it's likely the hard drive. Open the case and slow each fan down with your finger for a couple seconds and that should show if it's making noise. Your ear to the hard drive is also a good test.

I re-read the original post and see that it stops after a period of time. That sounds more like a fan (CPU, case or power supply). A hard drive will often not stop whining with warm up.

I had a noisy fan (one out of five possible sources). Like yours, once it was running I couldn't figure out which one. After oiling the power supply fan, swapping the CPU fan, and plugging and unplugging the case fans, I was ready to just get earplugs! I looked in my mechanic's toolbox, and came up with a "stethoscope" - used to trace down noisy lifters. By using carefully it (don't let the fan blades hit the probe!), I found the one (case fan) which was "humming" louder than the rest.

See if you have a friendly mechanic who has one. They are cheap, but you'll probably never use it again!

Thanks for the help and advice all you guys have provided me with. I have as yet to check the problem out. Just for info the noise only lasts until windows has booted - it then disappears completely, suggesting (as most of you have indicated) that it must be one of the fans

Cheers
Voisey

I have as yet to check the problem out.
Well, if it's a CPU fan, it's not good to let it go and if it's a hard drive failing then you might have already been toasted. Nobody can motivate you to fix it but you. My point: we don't want to encourage people to ignore a noise without positively knowing it's a less important item.

Suitably chastised I shall see to it this very day

Thanks again

That was meant for anyone else that might read this - not specifically for you. I'm not too worried about your SPECIFIC case. I guess it would analogous to a noise in your engine compartment.

"I'll try to dial the nagging back..... but I'm so good at it." - my mom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back