Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Noisy Floppy drive! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

amadeus

Technical User
Sep 29, 2000
US
My floppy drive intermittently makes these noises like it's searching for a disk, even when I'm just surfing the Web. If I put a floppy disk in, the noise stops. Has anyone ever experienced this? What's up? [sig][/sig]

I have this problem too. When I'm trying to go to sleep, and the screen saver is on, my disk drive will suddenly access for no reason at all. Next time it does this, don't put a disk in and it should stop. My computer is new, and my family's computer is old, and both do this. My guess is that some program in the background is trying to access it. If you have any ideas on what program is doing yours, I'd be interested to know. (I think it is McAfee virus for me, but I dunno) [sig][/sig]

my first guess would be your anti-virus software, especially when the screen saver kicks in, since many av software programs have the default settings of system wide scan during screen-saver.

check the settings and i bet you will find this is so, and the floppy can ususally be removed from the devices checked. [sig][/sig]

go into windows explorer, access a floppy disk, any one i fine. once it has opened the disl click on the c: drive then click on a couple of folders. now exit explorer and remove the disk. sometimes this helps.

Fireball [sig][/sig]

The problem MAY be with a .PIF file that points to the floppy drive. This file would point to the floppy operation in DOS, as opposed to the .LNK that points to it in Windows. If such a .PIF file is in either the Desktop or the C:\Windows\Start Menu folder, it could be causing you problems, and it doesn't need to be there for Windows purposes. If you find a .PIF file there relating to a floppy, move it to another directory (folder) and see if that will solve your problem.

Also, as Ray436 implied, the antivirus program may be set to automatically check the floppy drive. You should be able to disable that option in the program's "preferences," "options," or "settings" menu (depending on the software). Also, if you find an option there to check the floppy upon reboot, disable that, too. Hope one of these works for you.

My Clicking Floppy was Virus Bymer--Love Bucket

Thanks to all---you are all so helpful.

dr cole

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back