Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No Win98 CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

homeric

Technical User
Apr 23, 2000
Hi
I've got Win98 on an older PC and I want to install it on another PC with a new hard disk, but I no longer have the Win98 CD - Can I create a Win98 installation CD from my hard drive's installed OS?
If so how would I go about doing so please?
Thanks for any help anyone can give! [sadeyes]

If the other PC has the exact same hardware as the one you currently use, you could use Norton Ghost and make an image of your current setup. Other than that, I think you may be out of luck.

-Dale
"There's no such thing as bad luck, just an absence of good luck.

Can I create a Win98 installation CD from my hard drive's installed OS?"

Short answer; no. The most important file, Setup.exe, is not copied to the destination machine by default. Not to mention all the other files which may be required to set up the hardware on the destination machine.

There's an exception however. ~IF~ the initial setup on the "original" machine copied the cab files to your HDD. If so, they would be under c:\windows\options\cabs. This would depend upon the CD used for the original machine.

It's a good day when you learn something

I know about the cab files, but I wasn't aware you could re-install using them. How do you go about doing this?

-Dale
"There's no such thing as bad luck, just an absence of good luck.

I don't have them so I'm going on memory here. I ~think~ there's a setup.exe in that folder to launch the setup. If not, post back and I'll find out how it's done, if no one else beats me to it. ;>)

All the installations I do are with the full 98SE CD, or I'll copy the win98 folder (or sometimes the entire cd, depends on the client) to a hard disk, the second disk if there are two in the system.

It's a good day when you learn something

Yes, C:\Windows\Options\Cabs\Setup.exe will do the job either from Windows or a Dos prompt. As long as everything is there, it'll work.

Skip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back