Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No Voice on Teleworker using SonicWALL NSA 240 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

j4ckl3

IS-IT--Management
Apr 30, 2002
US
I having the "no voice" issue with my Teleworker and SonicWALL NSA 240. I've tried contacting my vendor and they are telling me its a problem with my firewall. I'm positive that I can get this working with my SonicWALL, I'm just not sure what the problem is.

I currently have the Teleworker sitting on my DMZ with a static private/public IP. I used SonicWALL's "Public Server Wizard" to create the address objects, NAT policies and access rules. I am currently allowing all traffic to this server (not specific ports).

Here is how I have it setup:

Server Address Objects:
1. Teleworker Private (DMZ Zone)
2. Teleworker Public (WAN Zone)

Server NAT Policies:
1. Inbound NAT: Teleworker Public --> Teleworker Private
2. Outbound NAT: Teleworker Private --> Teleworker Public
3. Loopback NAT: All Internal Zones --> Teleworker Public

Server Access Rules:
1. WAN > DMZ: Allow 'Any' to 'Teleworker Public' for service 'Any'
2. DMZ > LAN: Allow 'Teleworker Private' to 'Any' for service 'Any'

Here is my hardware:
Internet: SDI 3.0MB
Teleworker v5.0.13.0
Mitel ICP 3300
SonicWALL NSA 240 (SonicOS Enhanced 5.2.0.1)

I appreciate any help. I have been struggling with this all week and I'm at wits end.

Thanks!

----------------------------
-= j@ckle =-

I also forgot to mention that yes, my SonicWALL does have a dedicated WAN/LAN/DMZ port. I also forgot to mention the additional Server Access Rules.

Additional Server Access Rules:
3. LAN > DMZ: Allow all traffic from LAN to DMZ
4. DMZ > WAN: Allow all traffic from DMZ to WAN

Thanks!

-= j@ckle =-

Hi

So just to get this right.

The TW server is in the DMZ with an internal DMZ IP address.

The external IP address have the Firewall rules to allow "any" ports from the public IP of TW to NAT to Internal IP? I say any to allow a test to make sure it's not a Port issue.

You also have to allow the INTERNAL phones to communicate with the EXTERNAL interface address of the TW. SO you need an inside and outside NAT.

Basically in DMZ mode all RTP traffic routes throgh the EXTERNAL address of the TW.

Have you tried calling a TW phone from another TW phone? Is it no way audio under all conditions?

We have had a similar problem on our SonicWall, it was eventually resolved by setting the NAT/DMZ to be transparent on the device.

If you need more info let me know and I'll get our full config off the engineer who set it up.

Hi guys,
Didn't see it so just wondering if the teleworker server was setup in server/gateway mode or server only mode?
Methinks it needs server only mode (one NIC).

Dave

You can't believe anything you read... unless of course it's this.

Canuckvoip:

You are right. My TW is currently setup in Server-Gateway mode. Do you know how I go about changing the TW to Server-Only mode?

Thanks.

-= j@ckle =-

I could be wrong but I think it is a re-install.

Dave

I would suggest your vendor provide you with the Engineering Guidelines doc...When in a DMZ you MUST be in Server-Only mode.

You do it via the console and select "Configure this Server".

You will have an option to change to Server-Only mode.

Thanks everyone for your help!

I was able to modify the configuration to "Server-Only Mode" via the console. I did so by only specifying IP information for one of the NICs present in the server, not both.

Once I changed this configuration and set everything to use our SonicWALL as the gateway, instead of the Teleworker all was well.

I setup access rules as stated in the Mitel Technical Engineering Guidelines Teleworker Solution documentation and all remote phones are able to make and receive calls with audio (both ways).

This makes me very happy :)

-= j@ckle =-

Excellent news!
Thanks for posting the success story.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back