Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No Visual Basic (?) from Office97 SR-2 running from network

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrenner

MIS
Jun 10, 1999
US
My first posting, please excuse any mis-steps....<br>
I have a batch of new Dell Optiplex G1 and GX1 units with WindowsNT 4.0 SP3 workstation pulling Office97 SR-2 from a Dell PE6300 running NetWare 4.11. The PCs were configed from a master Norton Ghost image. Excel95 files &lt;&lt;with macros&gt;&gt; will not open from these units. Some Access95 databases will not open on these PCs. I have other older PCs with non-imaged WindowsNT 4.0 SP3 workstation and locally installed Office97 SR-1. These PCs have no problems opening the exact same files. I used such a PC to convert those files to Office97 format, then no problem on the new Dells. The networked Office97 install was from our MS Select program CD (SR-1 release) which we patched with the downloaded SR-2 upgrade. I am thinking that Visual Basic components may be part/all missing from the original install, not properly updated from the SR-2 patch or SR-2 issues (anybody for all of the above?).<br>

Hate to ask the obvious but have you tried uninstalling office on one of the new batch and reinstalling it from local. <br>
<br>
If its sorted from a local install then at least You'll be sure your network based install is faulty.<br>
<br>
This is probably the first thing you tried, if so, sorry for wasting yer time.

Update on situation:<br>
We took some of the PCs from the pile that were fresh and did a local install from the same media that we did the net install. Everything worked perfectly for the original SR-1 install as well as the SR-2 update.<br>
We also checked the number of files and directories on the local vs. network install.<br>
In a nutshell, the problems were the result of a bad initial install from the network to the target PC. A quick uninstall, reboot and reinstall straightened everything out.<br>
Thanks,<br>
Miker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back