Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No virus found but PC keeps restarting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve1980

MIS
Jan 24, 2005
GB
Hi, i've used virus scanners, and looked at the registry and msconfig to find the files loading up at startup but I can't find the solution to my problem without the PC restarting.

Could anybody tell me the name of a utility that prevents/blocks windows restarting? So I would have a longer time to solve the problem.

Having read that through i'm not sure if you will be able to follow me.

The problem is my PC keeps restarting, so I want a program to block it restarting so I can solve whats causing it. As at the current time it keeps restarting and doesnt give me long enough.

Thanks,

Steve

the issue you've got may not be software but hardware related instead. there are many reasons why a pc keeps restarting - bad cpu cooler, bad psu, bad display cards, bad memory stick and even bad mouse connection (yes i've seen it on a wireless mouse). after you've verified the integrity of all your hardware, then it may be safe to blame it on the software. but i doubt you can find any software that will prevent windows from restarting.

hope this helps. peace! [peace]

kilroy [trooper]
philippines

"If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get one million miles to the gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside."

Does anyone remember the "? -A" that we used back when blaster was such a problem?

You might also check the Bios. I ran across the same problem on a clients computer, it turned out that the shutdown temperature in PC Health had been set at 35C.

Going back to micker377...yes...the "shutdown -a" at the run prompt. Give that a shot, but the blaster affected the RPC, which I don't think Windows 98 really had (maybe some variation of it?).

If I may give another suggestion or two:
1)Set BIOS to defaults, try rebooting
2)Can you get into safe mode?
3)Try taking out all but one stick of ram and the video, see what happens (see torturedmind's response)
4)If all else fails, you can:
-Attempt to boot to DOS and reload 98 on top of itself
-Take the HDD out, make it a slave in another to
retrieve files, put it back, reformat and start over.

Hope this helps! If you have two sticks of ram, try one at a time. Good luck!

The first place I would look is spyware. Download AdAware ( ), update it, run it & remove what it finds.

The second place would be the power supply.

After that, check all the other items mentioned above.

It might also be worth carfully removing all the components of the computer and re-inserting them to eliminate the possibility of there being an intermittent or bad contact somewhere, as I would agree that this is probably a hardware issue.

Regards, Andy.
My pathetic attempts at learning HTML can be laughed at here:

I had 2 computers go bad a couple months ago, both needed new power supplies. If you're running Windows 98 or 98se, then your computer is probably at least 3 to 6 years old. Amazing it hasn't broken down before now. While I consider hard drives as the most likely hardware to die first, in this case look first at power supply or memory.

I ha dthis exat same prob 2 months back. I was on win 98.
The issue turned out to be a loose contact in my motherboard.
[ the comp techie found this out , After i had struggled on my own to find what the prob is ,but in vain ! ].

I think the problem is hardware related.

The s/w " Active Smart " monitors the harddisk for temp etc and indicates any anomaly. may be u can try it. (its free in trial period. )

So if u cant fix it, i suggest taking ur Comp to a techie.
It saves a lot of unwanted headache.

Try this-it worked for me. Go to START, RUN, type msconfig. Click the ADVANCED tab then click TURNOFF FAST SHUTDOWN. You will know immediately if it worked when you shut down your computer. I am running 98SE on that computer.

i had a registry error loop that was caused by a RAM chip that wasn't seated properly. I know that's not really helpful to your situation, but it backs up the theory that it's possibly a hardware issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back