Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No video to monitor once Windows loads

Status
Not open for further replies.

cismaxz

Technical User
Jan 17, 2003
US
So hear is the story. My friend moved and when he went to conncet his PC he said it wasn't working. He had another friend come over who started making all kinds of BIOS settings to get it to run.

The PC powers on fine, POSTS fine and you can see video. The Windows XP loading screen displays fine, but once it goes to load Windows the signal goes dead. Sounds like a driver issue or bad resolution settings right? Well, I can not get it to boot to safe mode and booting to VGA mode does that same thing as regular - no singal to the monitor.

The monitor is fine I have tried that on another PC. I put a new video card in his PC and it does the same. I reset the BIOS to default and took out the CMOS battery. Still nothing. There is no onboard video card.

The MB is an Asus A7N8X
video card Gforce fx5200

Any ideas?

Is the Video Card AGP or PCI? If it is PCI try another PCI slot.

Sure sounds like a windows driver problem. Can you boot with a "Barts PE" or equivilent CD?

Ok so I removed the AGP card and put in an old PCI card that I had. Only one standard VGA output on it - PC still does the same thing. The screen goes blank when it goes to start Windows.

The VgaSave service should not be stopped while the computer is in Safe mode because it is a component that allows Windows to display the screen." I wonder whether you have a problem with these files or Service?

How To Troubleshoot the Video Adapter Driver in Safe Mode in Windows XP

"Users know that to speed things up in Windows 2000 and XP, you can stop services and disable them. Fewer services running equals faster performance. Both operating systems contain a service named VGASAVE, which is designed to load automatically when the default designated video card driver does not work, or if a newly installed video card driver refuses to work -- this should stay off-limits to disablers.

VGASAVE is enabled by default and should not be disabled. If you disable it and reboot, there is a strong chance the system may not boot, since during boot-time it is used as a fail-safe. Many users have reported that they disabled it in the mistaken assumption they were freeing up system resources by doing so, only to discover their system was now unbootable. If VGASAVE was disabled, you can reset it by booting to the Recovery Console and typing enable vgasave service_system_start at the command prompt.

VGASAVE consists of two files, VGA.DLL and VGA.SYS, both of which must be present for the service to work correctly. In the event one or both of these files is deleted or damaged, Windows 2000 will BSOD and return the following error: STOP B4 error, VIDEO_DRIVER_FAILED_TO_LOAD. You can recover these files by booting to the Recovery Console and expanding copies of VGA.DLL and VGA.SYS from the i386 directory on the CD-ROM (stored as VGA.SY_ and VGA.DR_)."

Video problem
thread779-1046410

I was tired of messing with it so we just reinstalled Windows on a different hard drive. Thanks for the responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back