Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No video playback

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitchy

Technical User
Apr 19, 2005
GB
Hi,

Been having problems ever since I did a fresh reinstall. All video files i have donwloaded, either mpeg, avi, or other formats, they don't work.

When I say they don't work, those files which have audio as well only play the audio without video playback. This happens on all of the programs i have, VLC player, WMedia player, real player blah blah.

I have downloaded loads of codecs and codec packs because thats what I thought the problem was, but no luck so far. Does anybody else have any idea what the problem could be??

Cheers,
Hitchy

What video card do you have? What drivers do you have installed for it?

SOunds a strange one, particularly with them not working in VLC - that generally plays everything I chuck at it!

Yea I know, VLC is usually the nuts.

Ummm ...GFX is Nvidia Geforce FX5600 (ASUS) and i got the bog standard nvid latest drivers.

This is a strange one :s

Hitchy said:
Been having problems ever since I did a fresh reinstall.

It sounds like a driver issue.

Have you installed all of the drivers for your mobo and video card after installing Windows?

Wishdiak
A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA: Security 2003

Do you get an error message? If not, a possible cause is that you've somehow ended up with your machine configured for a dual-monitor set-up with the display you're using configured as the secondary monitor. Video overlay windows (which are what video players use) usually only work on the primary monitor and give a black screen on the secondary one.

It's unlikely that you'll have the drivers configured for a dual-monitor set-up unless you've done it yourself, but you never know.

Regards

Nelviticus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back