Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No video ouput and No POST

Status
Not open for further replies.

IDIDIT

IS-IT--Management
Aug 1, 2002
GB
I am trying to upgrade my PC with a new motherboard an MSI 648f Neo, a 3.0Ghz CPU and PC2700 DDR 333MHz dimms.

At first I couldn't get anything to run not even the fans.
This was most likely down to an additional mounting post that didn't affect the old board.

That sorted the fans all run, the LED's show and the drives run up too, but I get no video signal and there is no POST not a single beep. I have run the board out of the case with nothing but one dimm, the CPU, heat sink and fan and the graphics card but nothing no beep from the POST or video output.

Could the short have damaged the motherboard?

Presumably you are talking about FAQ 602-2731 in which case the answer is yes I have thank you, and a number of other posts and other web sites too.

That is why I ask the question. Whereas I have found a lot of information relating to the board shorting and that preventing it from booting, often the submissions go on to suggest further actions once the short is resolved. This suggests to me that a short may not necessarily prove fatal for a board. Is this true?

I have eradicated any chance of a short and yet the board still doesn't boot and yes I have tried everything in the FAQ that I was able to.

It points to a faulty board again as this is the replacement for the first one which did the same.

IDIDIT
What version P4 processor do you have?
The PC2700 (333) memory is only suitable for the 533fsb version of the P4 3gig, and not 800fsb variants.
Unfortunately it is entirely possible that the extra post has damaged the motherboard, can you actually see where the post was touching? has it broken the protective laquer on the PCB?
Martin

Start by questioning and soon you will be anwering.
So please take but remember to return and give when you can.

The processor is a P4 3.0GHz 800MHz 512KB Cache from Intel product number SL6WK it was sold as a bundle with the motherboard and memory from Watford Electronics (
There is no visible sign of anything different on the underside of the board but there are some soldered ends in the vicinity of where the mounts would be and the old board has empty spaces.

I've had the same problem in the past.

First remove everything including the memory excluding the processor and fan/heatsink (making sure you're nicely discharged, by touching your case chasiss),try clearing the CMOS. You're looking to get some beeping from the motherboard when you power up, so insure the speaker is connected.

If this doesn't make a difference very carefully remove the on board battery, wait a bit, then carefully replace it. You don't want to damage the battery holder. Once you get the board beebing you can then reconnect everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back