Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No video on Dell Studio 1537 -- Backlight comes on

Status
Not open for further replies.

TekSolutions

IS-IT--Management
Jul 15, 2011
I have been working on a Dell Studio 1537. The owner dropped it and broke a hinge. When they picked it up and opened it the broken hinge damaged some of the cables including the wireless, video and power button cables. All of which have been replaced.

The screen did not appear to be damaged, however when I turned it on, after making the necessary repairs, I got no video, but the back light did come one. What I did get is hard to explain, it was like white noise one a TV screen that was not receiving a signal from an antenna. I was able to connect an external monitor and was able to get video. So I replaced the screen with a brand new one. Now the the back light comes on but the screen is blank. I currently have an external monitor connected to it and getting video. I have the setting set to duplicate the monitors, the notebook screen is blank although the back light is on.

If the video cable is disconnected from the screen or mobo, the back light goes off. In spite of that I am thinking that the video cable I am using is bad. Before I get another one I wanted to get the advice of others that may have ran into this same situation.

Any suggestions welcome and appreciated.

Check the video connection on the lcd panel, make sure it is tight and straight, and has the tape on it to hold it secure. Still may have damaged the LCD or driver card which may be integrated into the system board, if it's an LED backlight LCD panel.

I have replaced the screen, the replacement is brand new.

The cable is secure on both ends, it is not secured by tape but by clips on the cable. As I said in my OP removing the cable from either end will cause the back light to go out.

I doubt it is the driver because I don't get anything at any point during the boot process from the moment it is turned on.

I am not sure if the video card is integrated or not because I have not taken it that far apart and don't want to if I don't have too.

I didn't say driver, I said the driver card, in older ccfl backlight lcd's it was a dc-dc convertor card. Now that the backlight is LED, the driver card, the part that drives the voltage to the LED's for the backlight is integrated in the system board.

It needs more than the little tiny clips that are on the LCD, that is why the OEM put tape on it to begin with. I've seen white screens, when the cable was loose or not connected right, and also when the cable was bad.

I finally got a chance to pull the mobo, the video card is integrated. So there was nothing to check for loose connections.

I am going to return it today, but would like to be able to continue to attempt to fix it if given the opportunity.

Other than replacing the mobo I do not know what else to do. The video cable I purchased is new according to the seller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back