Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No video on bootup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockmonster

Technical User
Nov 11, 2005
US
First let me congratulate you on a wonderful site. I hope that I can become a productive member.

I read throught the following thread because the trouble he was having was exactly like mine with very few exceptions.

The differences are that I am using a biostar M7NCD motherboard with an AMD 2700. When I hit the power button everything starts up, but there is no signal to the monitor. I have tried
- 2 seperate nvidia cards
- 2 seperate monitors (each monitor w/ a different cable)
- 2 seperate power supplies
- reseting the cmos
The current power supply is a 480 W. I am wondering if maybe the cards I am using are just too old. One is a 4200 Ti and I am not sure what the other one is, but it is older than the 4200. The motherboard manual says that it has an AGP 3.0 slot. I bought this motherboard and chip a little over a year ago and never used it. Now I am trying to start it up, and I am not getting any video signal. LEDs on the video card, however, do light up showing that there is power to the card. Also the video card fans work as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rockmonster,

If you are getting a normal single POST beep the card is being recognized. If other than a normal POST beep sheck the manual for what the beeps mean.

If there is no video recognized you should receive a beep code indicating this.

This ti 4200 card is not that old as it is an AGP 8X variety. Do you know that this card works? Can you try it in any other machine?

You should also set in BIOS that the initial video is AGP. I don't think that this should manifest as absolutely no video but should be set at any rate.

You might also check that the stand off posts for securing the mobo are not shorting out. Plastic standoffs for several can be substituted.

Sorry, Repeating what is in the thread you referenced.

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

Rockmonster,
Go back and have a look at the thread that you mention here.
Paparazi covered many causes that you should eliminate.
Also, the cpu and/or mobo may have been DOA.

Also, If you have any drives connected be sure all the cables are connected correctly. Pin 1 orientation of drive to colored stripe on cable and powered. Incorrect connection will cause no video as well.

Well, I have no drives connected at all. I have removed the motherboard from the machine and have it on a non-conductive surface. I am also getting no beeps what-so-ever. :)

I am thinking that the cpu is doa.

Rockmonster,

Thank you for posting back with your status.

"No Beeps" is not a good sign as you probably already know.

I am fairly certian that even without a finctioning CPU you should get some "beep code" i.e. CPU problem.

The Sys Board BIOS is what generates the beep codes and you might begin there. It is too bad that you have waited this long to insure that it functions.

The M7NCD is a fairly decent board. BioStar has some function to refresh the BIOS. If you have the manual check it for where the BIOS Jumper is and locate this Block and try the refresh routine. There is also some procedure for a FailSafe on the BIOS(prevents) losing all BIOS information also covered in the manual. If you don't have the manual download it here:

Hope You Have some luck in this troubleshoot.

Beep Codes:

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

If the MB's AGP slot is 'AGP 3.0', then the GF4 TI4200 video card is not compatible with it, since the slot is designed to work only with 0.8v video cards, and the 4200 is a 1.5v card. Hence, you'll get no display.
Also, if the other video card is older than the 4200, then it's also not compatible with a 0.8v AGP slot.

But if the slot is either 'Universal 1.5v AGP 3.0', or 'Universal AGP 3.0', then a 1.5v card should work ok, assuming the card is not defective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back