Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No video...Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsherfy

Programmer
Dec 23, 2000
US
I am building a computer based on a Duron 650 and a FIC AZ11 mtherboard. I can not get any video...I have tried an AGP graphics card and 3 PCI cards (all of which test fine on other systems), but my monitor (a Viewsonic A70) does not come on. I have unplugged every other component from the system...even the memory, assuming there was a conflict. Any thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Thanks!

Tim

Are you saying that the monitor doesn't come on? No power light?
Power on the board? Fans running?
Processor seated correctly?
You've got to have power and a power good signal for the processor to click. Memory must be minimally good to be able to hold a stack of instructions.
Do you get any sounds off the board? If not , power, processor, or memory.

Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

FIC has jumpers, doesn't it? Speed problems can also cause these symptoms. Double check your jumpers.

Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

The monitor stays in powered down mode. CPU fan is running, hard drive plugged in(power only-no IDE) churns. I do not get any sound off of the board. I assume if it was the memory I would get the familiar beeps, but not getting those, I removed all memory. I can only assume the processor is seated correctly, though I suppose I can remove the fan (why are they SO difficult to put on?!!!?) and verify it is not backwards or something.

As for jumpers, I have tried it at both 100mhz and 133mhz to identical results. I am NOT overclocking, so that jumper is off.

Thanks for the quick responses, and I would appreciate any further thoughts. Thanks again,

Tim

I switched out the memory, trying it with PC100 and PC133 (adjusting the FSB jumper accordingly).

I removed the CPU (which was indeed seated correctly) and reinstalled it (and the confounded fan!!!).

Still nothing. I unplugged all power inside the computer other than the main board and fan. There is absolutely no sound being emitted from the board, other than the whirring of the fan...and still no video. Any other suggestions?

What these guys are saying, is you won't get video until everything is set right on the board. This includes the CPU/Fan, hard drive, video card, jumpers and memory. Have you checked and rechecked your motherboard manual for correct jumper settings.

What kind of memory are you using? Is the motherboard jumper setup to use that kind? ECC may be the default on this board and if you aren't using that type of memory, it will not boot up and you will not get any video.

I truly hope this helps but if you find it doesn't, please let us know what you did to correct the problem, so we too can learn something from your experience.

Lori

If a computer is blackout even if it has power, then that is a disaster. Many times i experience such condition but thank God i was able to lacate the problem. I would be glad to share to all of you this very simple step.
Upon "power on" the computer, wait for a single beep. If you hear that single beep then your computer is properly configure or your computer is working fine. If you don't hear any beep at all after "power on" then you must check or replace your Memory chips. Now, upon hearing the single beep but your monitor still not showing any good sign. You must check or concentrate on the vga card. Sometimes you will notice that the contacts of the vga card are not well sitted in the slot. Try to re-sit the vga card until you get your monitor glowing right. Don't forget to power off your computer whenever you try re-siting your cards inside. Remember, i only assume that the rest of your parts are perfectly fine since that is a brand new PC.

Somebody had a problem a month or so ago with pc100 and pc133 jumper misidentified. Board marking was backwards. So whatever memory you have , try it jumpered both ways.
AT or ATX form factor? I'm not familiar with that board.
And do you have any tools available. Logic probe sure would be helpful.
And does this FIC have bus speed and clock speed jumpers?
In a bench setting you would look for address line activity to verify that the CPU was clocking and power good to make sure that the osc was being enabled. And the red flags would be waving for a memory problem. But there are other things to look for also. Just haven't got in the total troubleshooting frame of mind yet.
No grounds on mounting screws. Nothing on the reset pins.
Next step would be to unmount the M/B and rest it on an insulator and try it with the video installed. Will eliminate ground possibility. Just don't ground anything out.

Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Please note the below from FIC web site

I hope that this is some use to you

Q: On installing my motherboard the processor fan will start when the power is booted up, but there is no signal 'beep' is coming from the board. I have tried running the board with all the hardware devices removed and also as the board only (without CPU or RAM) and still nothing. I have also checked the board out of its case and tried it in a spare case.
(2000/12/14)

A: The AZ11 does not have an onboard speaker or buzzer, and does not ship with the Audio Alert II daughter board (but is capable of supporting it). Users will not hear any beep if the system halts while an error is detected by POST. Here are the most likely cases: 1.) Jumper was set at 133MHz. 2.) System implemented with PC-133 SDRAM with SPD programmed CL=2 (users must check with the vendor for this information). We recommend CL=3.

Thanks everyone for all the input. Unfortunately, I have had no luck, and am beginning to think perhaps I have a bad motherboard?

I have taken known good memory from my main system and placed it in each slot, trying both settings for the jumper. All this to no avail.

I have no clue as to what "CL=2" or "CL=3" memory means. Anyone?

The board is an ATX factor, and juding by the clip from the vendor's site, maybe it's just a rotten design!?!

Any other ideas before I pack this thing back up? Thanks again to everyone!

This is probably not the answer to your problem, but it's always a good idea to check the powersupply, measure to make sure you got good current. And while you still got that DMM out measure so you don't have any leak current to the chassis.

/Danne

Thanks to everyone for their input. Turns out I had a dead board. I have replaced it with an identical substitute and all is well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back