Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No video at startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitrous75

Technical User
May 13, 2002
US
I bought a used Dell Optiplex GX110, with all factory equipment last year. Since I bought it used, I doubt they will offer any support on this issue. PC has always worked fine, but has always started up with no video or keyboard control until the windows 2000 pro loading screen comes up. This has never caused any real issues until recently, when I tried to install Win XP Pro. I ran the compatibility check and all was well, so I started the installation. In Windows XP, the computer restarts and prompts you to continue the installation or boot normally. Most computers will continue automatically if there is no selection. My other PC had no issues. This one did not. This leaves me two problems. My 1st problem is that I have no video, and since I have no keyboard access, I can not even pick an option. My 2nd problem was that when I rebooted the machine (after removing the win xp disk)to try and fix the issue in windows, my windows 2000 pro did not load at all. I have important payroll info on this computer that I want to try and save, but I need to get the machine working regardless. With no video, I am having trouble fixing video issue, or OS issue. Is this a bios problem. Someone please advise! :)

Well looks like I was forced to figure this one out on my own, but for those who read on, here is what I did. Thanks all for your help. I tried something new and it worked for me. Here's one for the case file as the solution was rather simple. I removed my bios battery, thus restoring the bios to the original. Once I restored the power, not only was I able to complete my install, but now I see the post/bios screeens. Again thanks for all your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back