Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No value is making me nuts!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sullaway

Technical User
Sep 27, 2000
US
I have a code based on whether we have a zip code on a customer or not. I have trapped for Null and "", which works perfect but only if the zip code has never been entered. Here's where my problem comes in. If someone deletes a zip code out of the customers record and leaves the field blank, I just can't seem to trap (whatever value this has become). I have tried Nz, IsNull, Len, "" but just can't seem to find any combination that will trap it.

Could someone please take a little time and give me a hand with this?

Thanks ahead of time,
Shane

What do you mean by trap the value? Are you running a query or doing something in VBA code?

You should be able to query the value in a Where clause.

Select * From tbl Where Trim(NZ(ZipCode,""))=""

Or in the Select clause.

Select col1, col2, Trim(NZ(ZipCode)) As ZipCd, col4, ...
From tbl

In code you can use DLookUp.

sZipCd = Trim(NZ(Dlookup("[ZipCode]", "tbl", "NZ([ZipCode]))="")

Or check the value in a record set.

sZipCd = Trim(rs!ZipCode & "") Terry Broadbent
Please review faq183-874.

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance -- it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J Boorstin

Terry,

Thanks for the help. I am trapping in code, to be more specific. Wondering if I could bother you a little further and ask you to explain why after a field has had a value entered then deleted, that IsNull or "" none of those work. Apparently there's some type of value. If you could take a little time to help me understand I would really appreciate it.

Thanks again,
Shane

You might also check to see if you are saving the formatting. There may be a '-'??
If your format is numeric, you may need to look for 0.
Just guessing!

Hey CWillsh,

No, I'm not saving any type of a format and the wierd thing is nothing shows in the text box (at least not that you can see on the screen). The Trim work around does work but I was just wondering if something happens behind the scene's when a user deletes the contents of a box that causes the box to no longer be Null or an empty string.

This now has become a curious question cause I now know how to make it work but I don't know why it's working.

Thanks for your time and have a good Sunday,
Shane

why don't you check the contents of the database field via a message box. (Might this be a refresh issue?? - just guessing also!)

You could also check the length of the string in the field:

If Len(MyField)<1 Then
MsgBox &quot;Fill it in sucka!&quot;
End If

:) Joe Miller
joe.miller@flotech.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back