Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NO USB PORTS WORKING

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtjr92

Programmer
May 26, 2004
Ok I have an Dell Inspiron 9100. None of my usb ports are working now, however they are all recognized in device manager. When i plug in a device nothing happens . The only thing i have noticed is when i plug in my usb flash drive it lights up for a split second, but still is not seen by my pc.
Now the kicker is that my wife said that when she plugged in the laptop yesterday she saw a spark. However she told me that the mouse plugged into the usb port worked fine almost all day, then suddenly quit working.
I have tried 2 different usb mice and the flash drive. I tried updating to the latest bios to no avail.
The devices that show up in device manager are 5 of the usb root hub and 4 of the usb universal host controller and 1 usb2 enhanced host controller.
Before i did the bios update i thought i remembered seeing something about a pci to usb controller, but that is not there. I don't recall the usb2 enhanced controller being there before the bios update, so maybe they renamed it not sure. Anyway How can i get my usb working again??

Thanks for the help

Oh dear! as you probably are already aware, USB ports are powered, which means they carry a live feed, unfortunately the ports themselves are a little fragile and the constant re-insersion of USB cables often bends pins which result in shorting to ground, this will nearly always permanently damage the USB controller on the motherboard but typically the PC overall is unefected.
If this turns out to be what has happened you only have one real option (other than replacing the motherboard) and that is to buy a USB2 PCMCIA addon card.

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

No this is not what happend, there is no way that suddenly all 5 of my usb ports just got their pins bent. None of my ports work. I would think It would be something electrical in my humble opnion. I don't know how to correct it.

gtjr92
So you think each one of your ports is seperate from the next? sorry, one controller, all ports, this means if one port shorts out, damaged controller and no ports work.

Can you see any evidence of one or more bent pins even in any of the ports.
And please we are trying to help so if you want advice don't bite the hand that feeds.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

You mentioned a spark but you didnt say where the spark originated? That could help us help you.

If your usb controller has been damaged your usb wont work.
But you could try deleting usb from your dev mgr and start over, let windows re-install your usb. However, i am concerned that if you dont have the motherboard cdrom drivers it could be a problem, I'm not sure on that part.
Seems to me this same thing came up not long ago in another thread.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

paparazi i wasn't trying to bite the hand, sorry if it came across that way.
garebo I tried uninstalling and reinstalling usb to no avail. The spark originated from the wall socket when the laptop was being plugged in.
Fortunatly this is under warrenty so I think i will go that route and have them replace the motherboard. I was hoping to avoid that.

Looks like thats the wise way to go as if it was zapped at the wall then there may be other damage that you either havent found or will manifest itself later. In other words, that electrical arc may have caused other damage by loosening or damaging a solder joint and as you use the machine it warms up and cools off and another solder joint may break due to the original arc, that sorta thing.
So if you have the warranty, i would def go that way for sure.

welcome, and let us know how you made out!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back