Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

no trusted zone add after GPO site to zone mapping?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 15, 2002
US
we have discovered what I assume is a by product of a GPO policy change.

We recently added a GPO setting to setup specific site to zone mappings.

Today we appear to have discovered an unintended consequence or a coincidence... I havent decided yet.

Since we made the change to the zone mappings, we have noticed that we are now unable to manually add sites to any security zones in IE.

Assuming this is normal, is it possible to setup GPO based zone mappings, while allowing additional zones to be added by the end users?

Or is this abnormal?

Once you set the zone mapping by GPO, it is locked. No manual adds as you have observed. The only way around this is to set up a login script that will insert the sites you want directly into the registry.

PSC
[—] CCNP [•] CCSP [•] MCITP: Enterprise Admin [•] MCSE [—]

Governments and corporations need people like you and me. We are samurai. The keyboard cowboys. And all those other people out there who have no idea what's going on are the cattle. Mooo! --Mr. The Plague, from the movie "Hackers

That is kinda what I thought.

Although I think Microsofts terms are a bit off the mark. When I hear the term "template" I think of a baseline starting point that can be added to and not a hard and fast setup.

IE GPOs are different from any others. If you need to make changes later, it's often better to abandon the old GPO and build a new one from scratch. That said, I would recommend that your IE policies be separate from any other GPOs you have going.

PSC
[—] CCNP [•] CCSP [•] MCITP: Enterprise Admin [•] MCSE [—]

Governments and corporations need people like you and me. We are samurai. The keyboard cowboys. And all those other people out there who have no idea what's going on are the cattle. Mooo! --Mr. The Plague, from the movie "Hackers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back