Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No transmit from new laptop microphone using Jabber

keyset6

Technical User
Sep 7, 2007
US
I had Jabber working on my Windows 10 Lenovo laptop. I recently bought a replacement Lenovo laptop. With the new Windows 11 laptop, there's no transmit from the laptop's microphone. It works fine with Google Voice and Teams, just not with Jabber. Did the usual, checked/verified audio settings, de-installed and re-installed Jabber. I configure the accounts for others routinely at work. I'd occasionally get a trouble like mine, but that was when our VPN was required to use it remotely - and the user didn't have it running, but it's no longer required. I tried it with the VPN anyway, no luck.

I can use Jabber with a Bluetooth headset, and one of two Bluetooth speakers if I set the Audio settings accordingly. It's not a big deal, I have a company laptop I can use for Jabber but I don't always bring it home and I don't work from home often. It's just bugging me why it won't work. I know this is more of a computer question/situation, but thought I'd post it here if by chance anyone else has experienced this.

In the PC settings under sounds. The headset needs permission. Also in jabber app under audio. Make sure the headset is selected.

I don't want to use the headset. I said that works for reference.

Last edited:
Check in Advanced Audio settings in Jabber.
You can change the order of preference for the audio devices.

I suspect Jabber is picking another microphone as the source.

Checked all the settings upon installation. I configure Jabber routinely for customers and assist them with troubleshooting.
Never have I had a consistent situation like this. Next week I'll bring the USB headset from the office home just to try it.

jabber adv.jpg

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back