Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No Tables in Demo Version of DW???

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImagoX

Technical User
Jul 30, 2001
US
Hi all... first post in this forum. I appologize if this has been asked before, but I'm not seeing this question in any previous posts...

I just downloaded a preview copy of Dreamweaver from macromedia's site, and I'm bashing a page together just to see how well it works. So far I love it!

I've created a simple menu out of the Flash buttons that come with DW (very cool), and now all I want to do is create a simple 3 cell table so that the buttons can be aligned at the center of my page and to assure they will stay in a hotizontal line. One problem though: No matter how I try it I cannot add a table! The option for "Table" in the "Insert" manu is greyed out no matter where on the page I select, as is everythign under "Modify -> Table". I cannot align the existing buttons either- I highlighted the 3 buttons both in Preview and Text mode, went to "Modify -> Align", but all the options are greyed out. What's wrong?? I thought this was a fully functional preview copy!? AM I just doing something wrong?? Any help is GREATLY appreciated- I've only got 30 days before my preview copy turns into a pumpkin... :(

Thanks a million in advance for any assistance!!

~ImagoX

OK, I figured out I was in Layout view and that's why I could not create a table. I guess I have to use Layers (which I've never used before) to use layout view.

I coded my last page all in Notepad using HTML, so I have no idea what the Layer thing is, but I take it that newer browsers can use layers to aligh style elements and such. For right now I switched to Normal mode and I made my table successfuully. I dropped the Flash objects into the table cells and all is well with the world EXCEPT:

1) I STILL can't align the table to center it. All Alignment options are still greyed out and,
2) I can't find the Options menu to turm off the frame borders. I just want to use tables as an alignment tool, not to actually display cells. I'll keep hackinmg at it, and any suggestions are still greatly appreciated!

Hello ImagoX!

Your problems are very easily can be solved by doing this:

1) select TABLE element (click anywhere inside your table, then at the left bottom corner of your page you will find tags (something like <body><table><tr><td>) and select <table> tag
or
go to Modify > Table > Select Table);
2) open Properties window (Window > Propeties);
3) set Align = Center in the Properties window (right top corner of Properties window);

First problem is solved (&quot;I STILL can't align the table to center it. All Alignment options are still greyed out and&quot;), isn't it?

4) set Border = 0 with a TABLE still selected (in the same Properties window at the right bottom corner);

So now all problems are solved! :))

Good Luck!

Thanks Sveta! That helps! I actually seemed to have accidentally closed the Properties box that has all this information and settings in it, and that's why I could not align any of the table elements. I dropped the Flash buttons in the table cells and it seems to be working fine now. THANKS AGAIN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back