Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No System Restore for Win 2000 - How2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Axces2

Technical User
Jan 3, 2004
US
I've been having relentless problems with Outlook Express after comprising files (large ones). They began to disappear... Cannot recover them, they do not show in a search for *.dbx at all. Tried using DBXtract - no luck.

But if I could roll back Windows 2000 to a previous
restore point using System Restore, (a feature that comes with Windows XP and Windows ME) I'd be able to get the file, sans any work I'd done of late. Which I will sacrifice today's efforts for another shot at yesterday...

Here's the issue, Windows 2000 doesn't appear to have a System Restore function like XP and ME... But there is a way to do it, I just don't know how...

Some simple direction to manage that would be greatly appreciated! You see I run this news site where I offered RSS headlines to webmasters for free. Had thousands of them in this file.
However, I am switching to a new feed (cgi form and java feed) and I need to notify these webmasters to come and get the new feed's code - but without that file, I'm SOL...

Hello

Go into outlook express, go to tools -> options -> maintenance tab and click the "Store Folder" button.
This folder is where the Outlook express mailbox folders are stored.
You will find that anything below "Local Settings" is hidden, so go into Windows explorer, go to tools -> Folder options -> View tab and put a tick in "Show hidden files and folders".
There you can get to the data files through Windows explorer.

Windows 2000's rollback is limited to individual drivers, rather than the whole system state, unless you have installed third party software such as Roxio GoBack.

John

JRbarnett, thanks for the detailed instructions but I did that Friday, no luck. I tried DBXtract too, nada...

Rolling back Windows is my only option. I was told by another programmer that on the Windows CD I could go to the Recovery Console and select 'Last Known Good Configuration'. But I was cautioned on it... I believe the risk would be, when it thought that last "good configuration" might be and could end up being content from 2002... Never know! I am not sure if I want to risk that.

Here is exactly what happened. I had received an email and moved it to a folder, when I was done moving it, within that "move" window it highlighted the missing file. I knew that was odd at the time. The missing file was large. I do fully believe it became corrupt but doing a search for it yielded nothing...

I'll keep digging... but thanks for help!

bcastner -

I appreciate that link! I am going to download that and try it out. Will report back my findings. thanks for the tip!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back