Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No start up after power cut

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAG

Programmer
Aug 29, 2000
GB
Hi all
My bro-in-law has just phoned to say that his system won't fire up after suffering 2 power cuts (due to lightning !) his monitor & system both have power
When he turns it on the monitor immediately goes into standby
When he turns his system on the fans start but little else
He is running WinME on a 750 Athlon with 256Mb & a 30Gb drive with a Hansol monitor
Any ideas of where to start (before he turns to the computer store) would be appreciated
Hag

First suspicion would be the internal modem that wasn't mentioned.
Normal troubleshooting procedure. Remove expansion cards and offboard connectors except video card and power on connector and see if the M/B POSTS. If no splash on power up then the M/B or low voltage supply has taken a hit. If splash then start adding items back until something kills the process.
Take normal static precautions, one hand on the frame when pulling things, and pull the power cord before removing or replacing anything. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

I just replaced a Power Supply (P/S) in a computer that had a power shutdown, and power surge when the power came back on.

1st) First test: Put your nose by the back of the P/S at the outlook where the fan is. Does it smell like burnt electronic parts ?
If so, P/S was smoked.
> The one I replaced smelled burnt, and also rattled, there was a POPPED resistor / transistor that was loose.

It is a simple and free home test.

First maybe pull the cable out for 10 seconds,and try again then you could maybe try bypassing the switich and shorting the two pins that the power switch is pluged in to. then I would carefully remove all the cards and try again. If the heat sink fan is not going it is most likely the power supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back