Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No spellcheck for textboxes in Microsoft Word? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwoman

Programmer
Nov 16, 2004
US
I am way new the the whole programming in Micorsoft Word thing so please be kind ... =)

I am working with a MS Word document that contains many textboxes. I noticed that once you have input text in these textboxes you can't use spellcheck on them.
Does anyone know a way to spellcheck a textbox in MS Word?

Thanks much!
gwoman

It can, but it requires VBA. You should post to the VBA forum.

Also, this is a question that comes up fairly often. Did you try googling this? Try "spellcheck formfields". There are a number of sites that deal with this.

This is assuming that the textboxes you mention are, indeed, formfield textboxes.

If you have problems with some code you find, please post specific VBA questions in the VBA forum.

The short answer is, yes, there are ways to spellcheck text formfields. If you are talking about a different kind of "textbox" - say the one using Insert > Text Box - that is a very different beastie.

faq219-2884

Gerry
My paintings and sculpture

highlight the text in the textbox, go to Tools, Language, Set Language and see if "Do not check spelling or grammar" is checked. uncheck it

Thanks to you both ... you guys rock!

onedtent ... The "Do not check spelling or grammer" thing worked. However ... it would not let me make that change when the document was protected. Do you know if the document being protected directly effected the "Do not check spelling or grammer" being checked?

Thanks again!
gwoman

The document being protected will stop you from doing any changes, even correct spelling. All you would need to do is unprotect it then spell check away. Had the same issue a little while ago. Hope this helps.

"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back