Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No space left on device

Status
Not open for further replies.

raczi

Technical User
Feb 19, 2003
HU
I got the following Notification warning by networker:
"Cannot decode block. Verify the device configuration. Tape positioning by record is disabled."
Than, volume in the active device became full at written only 160GB data, despite the phisycal size is around 340GB(SDLT tape), accompanying the following warning:
...No space left on device, at file <> record <>

Has anybody a clue what was happened here?

Thanks in anticipation
Imre

Hi Imre
one thing i think you wrong about device configure if make networker can't read tape correctly when NW say cannot decodeblock problem on tape drivers on you host
if you use solaris you must defind parameter on you st.conf

good luck

Are you sure about SDLT capacities...

if you use SDLT220 its 110 Gb native capacity
if you use SDLT320 its 160 Gb native capacity

You could only be sure of this, then it could store more data only if they are not already compressed.

So I think you've maybe really reached the end of the tape.

Bye.

We have the message: &quot;Block size 65538 bytes not 131072. Verify the device configuration. Tape positioning by record is disabled&quot;. We use solaris, but st.conf configured properly (at lease there is no any error massage during boot process). But tapes tight 140-280 GB. Anybody has expirience with configuring SDLT tape drives for solaris?

If you are using SDLT in a Solaris environment, make sure you install the st driver patch. Go to sunsolve.sun.com,
then search for SDLT or &quot;st driver&quot;

For Solaris 7, the patch number is 107460.
For Solaris 8, the patch number is 108725.
For Solaris 9, the patch number is 113324

You need to backup your /kernel/drv/st.conf *before* installing these patches, because the patch installs a new and blank st.conf.

And speaking of st.conf, make sure you have a proper setting for your sdlt. The driver settings should look like:

SDLT-data = 1,0x38,0,0x1d639,4,0x90,0x91,0x90,0x91,3;

If you are using DDS, then you need to add a SCSI_set_ no _reservation bit to that too.

Hi all,

Thanks for helping me. I did some further investigation that i publish here. We have SDLT320 which has 160GB physical capacity. The backup come from UNIX and WINT clients. Tape compression used at device side, so we could reach 350GB capacity accordingly. However, from NT clients directive compressasm is used. In case if compression is used at client side than storage device compression cannot be used. That explains why networker was not able to write more data than the physical(uncompressed) capacity on the tape.

But I dont undestand the error message &quot;Cannot decode block. Verify the device configuration. Tape positioning by record is disabled.&quot; anyway.

We are on True64 5.1 unix with 6.1.1 Networker.

Any further help highly appreciated.
Imre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back